Some of my P-series...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

arklite

Bearcat
Ok, so I'm probably one of the few people that has decided to collect these things. Here's my story;

Some time last year, after I finished my hitch in the Air Force, I became intrigued by the various sidearms that were tested in the XM9 and XM10 trials. I'd been given a Beretta 92 (pre-S model) some time ago, and I was issued an M11 for a time, so those two pistols are what jump-started my interest in how the military selected and acquired firearms.

While on my first leave, I studied the JSSAP information available, and purchased a Sig P226 and Browning HP. Over time, I acquired a S&W 459, a Star M28, and finally I found a decently priced Walther P88.

About two months ago, I traded an old Official Police for a NIB P89 from 1992, which sparked my interest in the P-series, and here I am today;

RugerFam-1.jpg

Three of my Five P-series pistols

P85mkII.jpg

Blued P85 Mk II

P89-1.jpg

Blued Early-model P89

P89-SS.jpg

Stainless Late-model P89 with Uncle Mike's grips

I've also got a Blued Late-model P89 and a SS P85 Mk II. I'm working on acquiring a SS Early-model P89 to complete the set. I have considered a P85, but the trouble inherent in acquiring one, and verifying the recall info is more than I want to deal with.

I have fired all of these, and they are reasonably accurate (minute-of-bad-guy), but cannot touch my Sigs. I will say that, in my opinion they are a very fine weapon, especially when considering the price!

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
arklite,
Welcome to the forum. Hears some info on Rugers entry in a Military test
that you might not have read. Also a couple of early P-85's one Blue, one
Stainless.
Terry

HPIM1878.jpg

HPIM1882.jpg

HPIM1879.jpg

HPIM1880.jpg

P-85 1st year gun, NIB. Scarce

HPIM1222.jpg

KP-85 (Not a KP-85 MKII)NIB. Scarce

HPIM1227.jpg

HPIM1226.jpg

gunman42782

Hunter
Always liked the P series guns. Not the prettiest guns ever built, but as rugged and reliable as any!

roylt

Hunter
I got a glock and a P89 as a package to start my fever. But I was curious if anyone know why some of the SS models have the slide polished and some look bead blasted. Would one be more rare or prefered over the other.

I am looking for a SS unit to go with my blue.

flhr62

Single-Sixer
T.A. WORKMAN, Thanks for posting that. I read that article years ago and have not seen it since. I remember it pretty much word for word, it really impressed me. I went immediately and bought a new P85.

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
yup, my p89 is built strong with strong springs and heavy duty aluminum and steel....not plastic!
the closest guns would be the sigarms pistols and the 1911's still made today

roylt

Hunter
Quote arklite
Three of my Five P-series pistols
Blued P85 Mk II
Blued Early-model P89
Stainless Late-model P89 with Uncle Mike's grips

I've also got a Blued Late-model P89 and a SS P85 Mk II. I'm working on acquiring a SS Early-model P89 to complete the set.
End Quote

Please post pictures of all 5 you have. Also what is the difference when you say early and late?

I have a blue 89 and am waiting for my SS to get here from TX.