Some .357s after range trip today.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Phone battery was too far gone to get video for this session. But here are some pics of some decent .357s before cleaning.

Ruger GP100 MC 6 shot 4 inch stainless
S&W 686 Plus 7 shot 4 inch stainless

You were asking about these the other day Kevin, well, here are some pics. Enjoy...

IMAG0523_zpsbbooketn.jpg

IMAG0524_zpszbdh7jii.jpg

Hey Thanks! Which gun do you like better? Are they both about the same with regards to the trigger and accuracy weight etc?

Nice looking guns by the way...

Paul B

Buckeye
I had one of the first 686 six-shooters to come on the scene. I'm sorry I ever sold it.
Paul B.

Kevin said:
Hey Thanks! Which gun do you like better? Are they both about the same with regards to the trigger and accuracy weight etc?

Nice looking guns by the way...

Going to try a double reply here. So first. Kevin. The 686 Plus has a slightly lighter and shorter trigger pull. The GP100 can be tweaked to match that but I haven't moded my new one yet. As far as GPs go, this one is GREAT right off the bat. It still posesses a better setup than the old 6 inch standard GP it ultimately replaced. I can't choose a "better" that's why I choose to own both.

Paul B said:
I had one of the first 686 six-shooters to come on the scene. I'm sorry I ever sold it.
Paul B.

I gave my first 686 (6 shot) to my dad for father's day several years ago. Good thing about giving him guns, I'll get them back some day. (His words) but I'd rather have him around. :-D

Gonna try to post videos and shot groupings next trip.

Also working on my .45 long colt and 10mm projects now.

Still can't believe I sold a Sig :shock:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Kevin, I have a 3" GP, and two friends have 4 inchers. A buddy shot an 8 3/8" 686 at silhouettes for a while, and one of my hunting buddies has a 4" 686 (I think his is a six shot.) None of us has had any work done to the guns except to shoot them.

I believe it fair to say most triggers improve with use. My silhouette shooting buddy swears my GP's had trigger work. Nope, just a pretty fair amount of live ammo after hours and hours of dry firing. And I can honestly say that today, that trigger is right up there with what the Smiths' triggers were like out of the box. Thing is they, too, have improved with use. Just saying, Smith does a nicer job on the triggers.

Comparing the same size guns, which means the 4 inchers, the Ruger FEELS a bit heavier and doesn't bite MY hand as much as the Smith. It MAY also hold up better under a steady diet of full house loads, though I haven't heard any complaints yet on the 686s shooting loose or anything like that. Aesthetically, I'd have to give points to Smith, while purchasing a Ruger will leave you with some money for a box of ammo or two over buying the Smith. And though today's Smith QC doesn't seem to be what it was decades ago, I think it's still way ahead of Ruger's. Some folks will argue they've never had a problem with a Ruger, and good on them if that's the case. My luck hasn't been that good. I'd still buy a new Smith sight unseen (as in online or special order from the LGS.) I learned the hard way not to do that with a Ruger.

All in all, if you can shoot both guns before buying either, it may well be a coin toss!

Rick C