Smith 69

Help Support Ruger Forum:

32magfan

Blackhawk
There is an eye-opening article in the new Handloader about the S&W 69 by Brian Pierce. His results were less than satisfactory with cast bullets. Seems the EDM rifling was very prone to leading. :shock: Guess I won't be getting one of these. :cry:

Looks like an excellent gun and the article was glowing except for the leading issue.

32Magfan

k22fan

Blackhawk
Roughly 1997 creating grooves by using electricity to erode metal superseded broach cutting in S&W production revolver barrels larger than .22 caliber. Lands and grooves now have rounded corners and some barrels appear nearly polygonal.

While some cast bullet shooters are getting good accuracy without significant leading others are having a devil of a time. EDM rifling and cast bullets is controversial but the majority of casters on the big forum for S&Ws are happy with EDM barrels. It could be the casters who are having trouble need to tailor their loads to their new revolvers rather than stick to their tried and true loads for broach cut barrels.

I mostly shoot older revolvers. My only experience with cast through one of the new barrels has been great accuracy and no leading firing bullseye power level .45 ACP. Lacking experience firing magnums my only opinion is that the jury is still out and EDM rifling is a consideration for home casters looking at newer S&Ws.

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
I don't have thousands of rounds down the pipe yet, but I've had no appreciable leading issues with my M69 using 250gr Keith hard cast and Unique

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
I've had a M69 for a few months now.
It seems to handle cast without any issues.
I've shot hard cast with .44 Spl level loads.
Full house .44 mag loads are a bit much for me.
My only complaint is the DA trigger pull which is way too heavy for my taste.
I tried a lighter spring but reliability was not good at all.
The single action trigger pull is OK.

Jack