Thoughts on Ruger SP101 vs Smith Model 60, 66, etc???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I like all of them. Here's 3 of my favorites.View attachment 20686View attachment 20687
Mr. Sharpblade (or ShortBlade, or SlingBlade, I'm not sure of anyone's pronouns anymore!),
I thoroughly enjoyed your pictures! As I have been looking at options, I had the chance to handle a new SP and a new Kimber.
The SP was surprisingly rough and had play that I would not have expected. The Kimber was much nicer on the fit and finish, and had a superior trigger pull. I have purchased a 4" Smith 66-1 that is quite nice and very smooth. If you could only buy ONE of the above guns, which one would
you pick today?
My goal is to find an older SP as I thought they handled better than the newer versions. Then I can compare the best versions of all 3 manufacturers. Thanks for taking time to help with your advice and the very good photos.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I had an early "short cylinder " .38 SP101 that launched the barrel while I was shooting. Ruger replaced it with a .38 SP that's the .357 bored to .38

I carried it on my drive to work , it's in my car right now out in the parking lot with 5 .38 Critical Defense in the wheel and 6 more on a Bianchi Speed Strip in the console

I only carry it when I'm wearing pants or shorts with a belt and a shirt that covers it

Ok Mr Wanderlust. To start with I am no expert at anything but I will give you my opinions. I am 76 and have been carrying concealed since I believe 1995 in N. C. So I do have a little experience. The Smiths are excellent guns and I own 10 of them. Strictly for carrying everyday the Smith in the picture would be my pick. Small and 14 ounces. The Ruger is 26 ounces and the Kimber 23 ounces. The Smith has the best single action trigger pull. It is kinda brutal with full house 357 loads. The Kimber is the most refined of the 3 and has a great action. The only change was to take that little wood grip off and put the Hogue on. Gives it a much better feel. Of course it cost more than 3 of my sp101's. My sp101's are all older guns. The Ruger's all lock up tight and have good single and double action triggers. To answer your question if only one it would be the Ruger. But having said all that, I carry Glocks. I have 17 of them but I also have more Rugers than any other. I will show a picture of my Glock carry guns and a few of my sp101s.
20221114_022930(1).jpg
20230225_105504.jpg

Last edited:

harley08

Blackhawk
I had an early "short cylinder " .38 SP101 that launched the barrel while I was shooting. Ruger replaced it with a .38 SP that's the .357 bored to .38

I carried it on my drive to work , it's in my car right now out in the parking lot with 5 .38 Critical Defense in the wheel and 6 more on a Bianchi Speed Strip in the console

I only carry it when I'm wearing pants or shorts with a belt and a shirt that covers it
'38 SP that's the .357 bored to .38'
What are you talking about?
A .357 Cylinder is a little longer than a .38 Special cylinder where the cartridges fit in two the cylinder! (hope I wrote that corectly!)

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
'38 SP that's the .357 bored to .38'
What are you talking about?
A .357 Cylinder is a little longer than a .38 Special cylinder where the cartridges fit in two the cylinder! (hope I wrote that corectly!)
Th very early 90's production SP101's were all .38's, and had shorter cylinders

The later and current .38 Special SP101's are basically .357's with .38 chambers

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
I currently own both S&W's and Ruger revolvers. I will readily admit that I am a Ruger fan. I have not experienced any issues with either of these brands. However, none of my revolvers are of recent manufacture. I am not in the market for any other revolvers at this time. However, this has been a thoroughly enjoyable thread. I hope that it continues to provide good information and is valuable for the OP. Keep up the great work!

*ncvikingfan*:
I feel like we've achieved soomething when I see a response like yours. Thank you. I have learned so much from the guys who took time to throw in their 2 cents worth. I've been busy moving and working so I haven't had time to look for guns much lately, hoping to fix that soon. I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable on handguns, but I have been schooled by some of the best opinions and advice thru this forum. It's well worth my time spent on here each week. Hoping to find a good used Roger SP and a Kimber to compare against my new Smiff!