Slide won't stay open

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eo1bart

Bearcat
My new SR1911 came with a 7 round and an 8 round magazine. The 8 round magazine won't keep the slide open after the last round is fired. I've filled it and fired it until empty 5 times and each time the same results. Maybe a weak spring?

Tweety Bird

Single-Sixer
Take your magazine apart and put a round under the spring, then re-assemble. See if it works then. If so, you probably need a new spring in the mag. Otherwise, the follower could be at fault.

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
Had the same issue on mine when I got it. Tried other mags and had no problems. Called Ruger and they told me to load the mag full and let it sit for a week or two. I did That and have had no issues in over a year. I also use the Chip McCormick shooting star mags and they work every time.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
Could possibly be hitting the slide release during recoil? I had a Springfield that I would do that if I wasn't careful how I gripped the gun

eo1bart

Bearcat
lipofsky said:
Had the same issue on mine when I got it. Tried other mags and had no problems. Called Ruger and they told me to load the mag full and let it sit for a week or two. I did That and have had no issues in over a year. I also use the Chip McCormick shooting star mags and they work every time.

Hey Chief I loaded both Mags when I got the pistol and they sat for 3 weeks before I got to the range. The strange part is, if I pull the slide back with the magazine empty, then the follower pushes the stop in place and it stays open. I think I'll call Ruger tomorrow
and see if they'll swap it out for me.