Slide cleaning tools

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gunner4640

Bearcat
I am a person who can't stand a dirty gun and have spent many hours cleaning /polishing my 1911's
A friend of mine gave my 2 plastic cleaning thingy's that worked ok for cleaning the slide channels.I spray the slide with Mpro-7 then I use a patch with Mpro-7 on it and run it up and down the channels well I found something better that fits tighter in those channels a popscile stick it drags the patch perfect a couple of passes then a rinse then a dry patch to remove all the Mpro-7 followed by CLP. BTW I have a friend that is a retired Texas DPS Lt and he told me that the DPS only uses/authorized CLP for gun lube. They tested all kinds of lube and CLP is the only one that did not foul up ammo over a time period.

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
Be careful you don't wear it out cleaning it...

I forget what, if anything I used for the first 40 or so years on those rail cuts, but my 1911s must have been very forgiving. Nowadays I use the scratchy pipe cleaners from Brownells that work well on my AR gas key. Lacking those, regular pipe cleaners which are a tad smaller, but work just fine. As to oiling a 1911, I suspect JMB simply used 3 in 1 for the Army trials.

Heck, dirty motor oil off a dipstick will do in a pinch.

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
I use a Q-tip and a patch wraped around the curved pick and the nylon brush. You can find these at Wal-Mart

Chuckwagon524

Bearcat
I use dental picks to guide patches into hard to reach areas and a variety of brushes. Love the Mpro 7 cleaning solution and oil. No chemical smell and non toxic. Dissolves powder great.
Shooters Choice makes a really good copper solvent as well. If you have chrome lined barrels, dont mix cleaning products. A chemical reaction can happen and the chrome can come off.

Precision32

Blackhawk
I keep a pack of 8" bamboo skewers on the bench. Need a scraper? Whittle down the point to whatever shape you need and you're good to go.

JTQ

Bearcat
Gunner4640 said:
They tested all kinds of lube and CLP is the only one that did not foul up ammo over a time period.
For clarity, while we can guess you are talking about BreakFree, CLP is a category of product, Clean-Lube-Protect, not a brand name. There are dozens of CLP's on the market.

As far as tools, there is this Channel Cleaning tool from Wilson Combat http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Channel-Cleaning-Tool/productinfo/718/

10-8 Performance has this Armorers Tool (available from a lot of retailers) http://www.10-8performance.com/products/Armorer-Tool.html

As mentioned, Q-tips work great.

loaded round

Hunter
MidwayUSA sells a set of plastic dental picks very reasonably that are perfect for cleaning slide rails or any other tight places. Have also seen them on EBay that may be even cheaper. Just make sure they're plastic and not steel so they don't scratch your firearm.

98Redline

Blackhawk
Red Mobil 1 bearing grease is what I have been using for years on my frame rails. Nice and thick, stays put and does not seem to creep or flow like regular lubricant. One $9.00 tub and I am set for the next 30 years.

To get it out, the dental picks from the flea market with a patch folded up over the end work great. To put the lube back on, I normally use the flat end of a toothpick.

bsnake

Single-Sixer
Q-tip with Hoppes #9. Blast with nonchlorinated brake cleaner. Blast with air. Spray with MP. Wipe down. Lube with Gun Butter.

Latest posts