Skinners #1 peep sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
Just ordered one of Andy's sights for my #1. I will report back as soon as it arrives and I get it installed and to the range.

Anyone else use one?

http://www.skinnersights.com/ruger_firearms_22.html

I have 2 of the Skinner sights. High quality, priced about right in my opinion. I have them on a Henry Golden boy and a 1892 with the barrel mounted peep. They are way better then the buckhorn factory rear sights for my ageing eyes. I have peeps on all 4 of my lever rifles and shoot better.
FYI I had to replace the front sights on 3 of 4 guns when going to a peep. The other needed a lower front sight but there where other changes that caused that mainly that barrel was shorten 4 inch's and the same front sight ramp was installed.

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
Well ya talked me into it, ordered the brass one for a 1S in 45/70. Supposed to be here Monday. I will have to see if I need to change the front sight.

Joe S.

Hunter
Mine arrived today. Of course, my quarter rib is an oddball and the sight doesnt fit it. He has another one he makes for these ribs that he is gonna send me. My luck.

Joe S.

Hunter
New sight made it yesterday. Looks like it's gonna work fine.

Gonna try to get it mounted today.

Joe S.

Hunter
Got the screws trimmed back and got the sight mounted.
I "sighted it in" by lining the peep up with the front and rear sights, took it outside and fired it once and hit steel. I will try to dial it in at some point before deer season.

It is a very handsome sight for a handsome rifle.

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
Joe S , I posted earlier on this thread that I had ordered one for my 1-S. Well I got it Monday but I have to ask, How did you remove the two screws in the rib? I even E-mailed Skinner sights and tried what they suggested but so far no luck. Can you give me a little help please.

Joe S.

Hunter
Mine were allen head screws. They came right out. Are your's allen heads or flat heads? If flathead, do you have a good gunsmith quality screwdriver set? That makes a lot of difference.

If they are just siezed, you could try heat or some kroil to break them free. If it is a thread locking compound, it is gonna take heat. Sorry for your frustration.

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
Mine also are allen, Skinner sent the allen wrench along with the sight and I tried heating it by putting an old allen wrench in the screw and heated it until it was red hot and looked like it was going to melt. Then tried the new wrench but no luck. If it is loctited I don't think I got it hot enough. Maybe I just didn't heat it long enough. Heating it was also Skinners advice. I don't want to take it to any "gunsmiths" around here cause in my opinion they're all butchers. Well I guess it's more heat and if I bugger up the screw, At least I'll know my rib is really tight and just put the scope back on.

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
Well the old screws are out and the new sight is on. I applied more heat yesterday but still couldn't get them out. My son came over this morning, I told him the problem, he said let me try, and they popped right out. WTH. Would you believe it, they had red loctite on them. Anyway the peep co-witnesses with the old sight so that should be good. I'll take it out and try it if it ever stops raining. The sight I got is the all brass one, I like shiny things, I must be part crow.

Latest posts