Ruger 44 carbine peep sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ammo dave

Bearcat
Just bought a first generation 44 carbine that I would like to put peep sights on it. The Williams 5D-RU was apparently the sight of choice but it's long out of production. Are there any alternatives? Anybody know where I can find the Williams sight?

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
I think you're out of luck unless one of the Williams sights pops up on eBay. You probably could mount a picatinny rail and then use this peep sight by NECG, but I'm gonna guess you'll also need to raise your front sight with this setup. The nice thing with this method is you can pop on a scope whenever you want...which would be all of the time for me!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    298 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.png
    2.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
The WGRS will fit the Ruger 10/22, but I'm not sure about the .44 Carbine. I don't know if the screw holes are the same distance or the curvature of the receiver is the same. Would like to know though.

Attachments

• WGRS-RUGER_RU22_prod_3291_l_1469-8.jpg
    WGRS-RUGER_RU22_prod_3291_l_1469-8.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 70

Vintage68

Bearcat
I have peep irons on many of my guns. I like the FOV and quick handling it offers. My old eyes demand good peeps if I use irons.
I have 6 or 7 Leupolds on other rifles, and they ALL rock but this one.
I do think its pretty dated.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
I have peep irons on many of my guns. I like the FOV and quick handling it offers. My old eyes demand good peeps if I use irons.
I have 6 or 7 Leupolds on other rifles, and they ALL rock but this one.
I do think its pretty dated.
Which one are you saying is dated?

pyth0n

Buckeye
The WGRS will fit the Ruger 10/22, but I'm not sure about the .44 Carbine. I don't know if the screw holes are the same distance or the curvature of the receiver is the same. Would like to know though.
I also have the .44 Carbine & I matched it up to my 10/22 and shape & screw holes are the same but more forward on the .44. The .44 is on the right. Something of an optical illusion because of the scope mounts, but the screw hole spacing is the same.

20230105_111251.jpg

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
Great info. So the WRGS for the 10/22 shown above may just fit. It also projects the peep farther back behind the screws, which is a good thing. Too bad the OP no longer seems to be interested in this thread! :)

ammo dave

Bearcat
I'm still interested and still looking for a sight. I have the WGRS on my 10/22 but I'm not fond of it. It's difficult to adjust and looses zero if I don't use Loctite on the screws. The Williams 5D-RU is still my first choice if I can find one. The Skinners are interesting but would require a new front sight. Truth be known, what I really want is an M1 carbine sight that is adjustable without tools.

Last edited:

pyth0n

Buckeye
I'm still interested and still looking for a sight. I have the WGRS on my 10/22 but I'm not fond of it. It's difficult to adjust and looses zero if I don't use Loctite on the screws. The Williams 5D-RU is still my first choice if I can find one. The Skinners are interesting but would require a new front sight. Truth be known, what I really want is an M1 carbine sight that is adjustable without tools.
Just did a quick search & found this; https://www.eabco.net/M1-Carbine-1022-Sight-Set-fits-Ruger-1022_p_16026.html

IIRC, a member in the rimfire section had a reference for M1 carbine style sights also.

ammo dave

Bearcat
The .44 barrel is about .07" larger in diameter than the 10/22 so the Brown front sight won't fit without modification. The scope mount holes on both reeivers appear to be the same distance apart so the rear sight might fit. I wonder if you could use the Brown "carbine" rear with the oem .44 front? Email sent to eabco for clarification.

Last edited:

msp2640

Single-Sixer
AD, I'm 99% positive I have one at home, new in the box. On vacation and will reach out late next week. I bought it for an older 10/22 build, which I wanted to use it on, but wound up going in a different direction after learning the 10/22 needed to be drilled and tapped. Bill in MA

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
They make one for the 44 Carbine
Not anymore. And even if you could find one, you still have to drill and tap the side of the receiver in order to mount it. I wouldn't do that, and apparently neither would the majority of owners. That's why is was discontinued.