Skinner Peep Sight for Ruger #1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

alienbogey

Bearcat
I recently bought a #1 in .45-70 with a 26" barrel. I hated to spoil the lines of a #1 by mounting a scope on it, so I started shopping for peep sights. I came across the Williams and NEGC, but they both looked clunky to me.

I came across Skinner Sights. Their products looked like exactly what I wanted, but they didn't offer them for the #1. I contacted them, Andy started prototyping, and I bought their first one. Pictures:

Ruger1SkinnerPeep-5.jpg

Ruger1SkinnerPeep-4.jpg

Ruger1SkinnerPeep-3.jpg

Ruger1SkinnerPeep-2.jpg

Ruger1SkinnerPeep-1.jpg

The sight is adjustable for elevation by screwing it up and down. Windage is adjusted by sliding it side to side in the slotted rear screw hole.

Different size apertures are available, and the sight comes in blued, stainless, or brass. You can mix & match, as I did by asking for a blued sight but brass aperture stem for a touch of bling.

I thought the factory leaf sight was unsightly, so I replaced it with a blank plate from Skinner. No gunsmithing was required for any of this, it took only a screwdriver for the sight, and tapping the factory sight out of its dovetail slot and tapping the blank in.

Overall, I'm very pleased.

(Disclaimer: I have no relationship with Skinner other than as a satisfied customer.)

That looks pretty nice! Thanks for sharing the pics. Now are you going to use a Lyman front peep with the interchangeable sight inserts so that you are aligning concentric circles, or will you be aligning the factory brass bead post inside the Skinner peep?

jackruff

Bearcat
Very nice. I have brass Skinner sights on my blued Marlin 1894C, and they look (and work) great! I got them while Dr. Skinner still had the company. It's clear that Andy Parsons has continued the first-class service of Dr. Skinner.

jackruff said:
...I got them while Dr. Skinner still had the company. It's clear that Andy Parsons has continued the first-class service of Dr. Skinner.

I used the black one on my Marlin 1894C, too, and Tim Skinner was great to talk to at that time. I didn't know he sold the company, but sounds and looks like things are looking up for the product. Great sight!

Latest posts