Single Six Hunter Collection Is Now Complete

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Congrats!!!
I was lucky in being able to get one of those gems a while back.
Now,, if you have all the Single-Six Hunters,,, you have to start on the centerfire Hunters next,,,! (It NEVER ends!)

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
This one cost me some money, it was'nt cheap! I was able to pick up a NIB 17HMR hunter a couple years ago on the cheap and have had a 22 LR/Mag Hunter since they came out.

paochow

Bearcat
Congrats on the purchase! I've decided I can live without the .17 convertible, unless by some miracle the drop to pre collector prices....

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
If anybody is looked for a convertible 17 HMR/M2, there is one for sale on GB right now. Price is reasonable. I will post the link to the sale in the auction section here.

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
I picked it up off Guns America. It was priced at under $1000. If I ever was going to get one, I figured this would be the one since it was priced somewhat reasonable. I called the dealer, he said numerous people called to buy it after it was already sold to me.

oldowl

Bearcat
I just lost my hunter model 0663. I fired some Hornady ammo as usual. I got a rare bad batch. One round left black powder snake hanging from the chamber. Another over pressure one punched a hole in the base of the case where the firing pin hit and embedded the brass back into the firing pin hole. This prevented spinning the cylinder. When the gunsmith got the cylinder out I noted that a piece at the base of the rim was gone as well. When that casing was punched out only the base came out. The wall was well stuck to the chamber sides. The gun was sent to Ruger. They said that it was unrepairable. They offered to send me a brand new one in 22LR since they don't make the 17HMR any longer. I loved that gun. I may look for one on the used market. Ruger did mighty fine offering me a new one for free though. I'll take them up on the offer in 22LR. I think it comes with a cylinder for 22 magnum as well. Hornady wants pictures of my casings and parts of casing but since I don't have the box of cartridges to sent to them they can't really do anything more. They can only receive cartridges in the original box legally for shipping to them. Manufacture of rimfire ammo is an art and not as easy as it may seem to do consistently. It's almost like magic. I read
an article recently about why the huge shortage in rimfire that explained the problem in production. The ammo makers don't want to invest billions more into increased capacity when the market may be satisfied at any time. So they just keep running at capacity of current production every day.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum oldowl!
Sorry to hear of your issues. Due to the rarity,, I'm not sure that I wouldn't have tried to repair the .17 before I sent it back. Freezing a cylinder can make stuck brass turn loose. The firing pin recoil shield could have been removed & the brass cleaned out.
Too bad you lost a good one! But, it didn't surprise me to see Ruger offer you a new gun.

Dan in MI

Staff member
contender said:
Welcome to the Forum oldowl!
Sorry to hear of your issues. Due to the rarity,, I'm not sure that I wouldn't have tried to repair the .17 before I sent it back. Freezing a cylinder can make stuck brass turn loose. The firing pin recoil shield could have been removed & the brass cleaned out.
Too bad you lost a good one! But, it didn't surprise me to see Ruger offer you a new gun.

My thoughts exactly. Freeze that puppy and see what happens.