Single Six Blue or Stainless?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kennyv

Bearcat
Thinking about buying a new single six 22. I know I like the 5 1/2 "
barrel length. But which one Blue or Stainless? Help me decide.

ranger1

Buckeye
I have one of each and like them both equally...although the blued version is about 5 oz. lighter and feels more balanced in my hand.

DSCF0134.jpg

I'd vote for stainless as well. You know the next decision will be what sort of custom grips? Stag, exotic wood, micarta, and if so what color. Tough choices. Post some pictures though.

Crazy Carl

Bearcat
I prefer stainless in my handguns & it does have a tad more heft, due to the stainless vs. alu grip frame.

That said, blued w/wood sixguns sho am purty...

Motex66

Single-Sixer
Blue Old Model Three Screw. I know you said new, but I like to get an Old Model when there is a choice. Might take more time but their out there.
John in Texas

I prefer stainless for its rust-resistance.

I seem to have "rusty" hands, and have had a couple of heart-breaking rusty fingerprints show up over the years on my firearms.

Granted, a quick wipe-down should have prevented them, but... sometimes... I get sloppy. :oops:

With stainless, I've never had to worry about forgetfulness! :p

SR22PSHOOTER

Bearcat
Simple if you cannot decide you better get both. Personally I would pick the Stainless one, I just like how they shine it's almost like they are smiling at you when you look at them.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
AS you can see it's mostly a matter of preference. I prefer blue in traditional style guns like single actions. However, for more logical and practical reasons consider these:

For me a holstered field gun is stainless. You won't have to worry as much about finish wear, rusting, sweaty hands, etc. And you might want to consider grips of man-made materials instead of wood.

Otherwise for me on the range or plinking, I use my blue guns.

If you can't decide, just look for the best deal, you can usually find blue guns a little cheaper. Also look at used blue guns to get an idea what they will look like after some years of use. In fact for a using gun, I always prefer a good used gun for a better price and also not having to worry about putting the 1st scratch on it.

wproct

Single-Sixer
weconway said:
Love my stainless. It has a really nice heft and awesome balance. And it's shiny.

SINGLE_SIX_ammo_star_2.jpg
Nice revolver, and photo. 4 5/8 in bbl, just the way God intended! :mrgreen:

hpman66

Hunter
The grip frame and ejector housing on the blued is anodize aluminum and it is all SS on the stainless Single Six. That's the reason that the blued models are lighter than the stainless models.