Single Six 22Mag cylinder question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1ruger

Single-Sixer
Is the 22mag cylinder for Single Six serial numbered to the revolver?
If not, can any 22mag cylinder be used in any Single Six revolver?

A

Anonymous

On Ruger single actions, the last three digits of the serial are scribed onto the face of the cylinder, close to the base pin hole.

Factory recommendation is to not use a mis-matched cylinder. Unless you are absolutely up on what to look for, I would have a competent smith give it a check before shooting it. I have heard of many people getting away it, though.

Another question is the bore size. Older Single-Sixes that did not come with a mag cylinder had a .222 inch bore. The ones made as convertibles have a .224 bore, correct for .22 WMR. I would not try magnums with a .222 bore.

Someone else here would be more help on identifying your gun as to whether it was manufactured as a convertible, and the bore size.

flatgate

Hawkeye
The earliest .22 magnum cylinders were produced for the model RSSM back in the late '50's/early '60's. Since the Magnum cylinder was the PRIMARY cylinder after the introduction of the convertibles, the Mag cylinder was NOT numbered to the gun. So, there are "un-numbered" Mag cylinders out there.....

In general, if the cylinder fits the "receiver" w/o undue "endplay" you should be OK. However, I'd definitely wear safety glasses during testing.......

Shucks, one should ALWAYS wear glasses when shooting!

flatgate

Belt Fed

Single-Sixer
I bought a Ruger Bisley in .22 L.R. It did not come with a Mag. cylinder so I called Ruger to see about getting one for it and they said they would not sell me one because the gun did not come with one from the factory! They said they had complaints from the Ruger Collectors Assn. about convertible models that were never offered. I really don't care if the collectors like it or not! I found a magnum cylinder at a gun show and bought it. When I installed it I found the timing to be perfect and the barrel/cylinder gap was .002. It works fine and is very accurate, no fitting required at all.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I find the comments regarding the RCA "very interesting". Why would the RCA care? If the gun has two cylinders but doesn't "letter" as being originally produced as a convertible then it's NOT a "Factory" convertible.

Well, you're not alone in your endeavors....... :D

Enjoy shooting your Bisley!

flatgate

I agree with 'Flatgate' sounds a bit like a "cop out" really,
in your question the "key word" is 'ANY", NO, NOT any cylinder will fit in ANY Single Six, they need to be "fitted" or at least be close enough in 'like model,vintage era, to possibly just "drop-in' ( yes seen it happen,BUT it shold still be checked out for proper fit & timing, hate see ANY one get hurt or injured.................
Yes, when the factory 'fitted' & shipped the guns with a "spare, extra & fitted" cylinder, they were marked on it, with the last 3 digits of the gun it was "
fit" to..........