Single Action Revolver Safety

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Modernhoglegs

Bearcat
My dad called me up the other day to tell me about the cool new sheriff's model .357 single action revolver he'd just purchased. He's always been a hunter, but not what I would call a real gun guy, and as far as I know he'd never owned any pre-20th Century arms.
As he's describing his new acquisition, I asked him if the firing pin was mounted in the hammer nose, and he said it was. My response was, "Please tell me you only have 5 chambers loaded and the hammer is down on the empty one."
At this point I was informed the guys in the gun shop had assured him that Bill Hickok, Wyatt Earp, and all of the other old timers carried their guns fully loaded with the hammer down on a cartridge, or with the hammer at half-cock. I corrected this misinformation quickly, and I hope he listens before he picks up a permanent limp.
In any case I feel the need to explain the how and why of safely loading a classic single action revolver for safe carry. Should anyone doubt my credentials, I'm not breaking new wind here. I'm only repeating wisdom passed down from Elmer Keith, John Taffin, and the Single Action Shooting Society among MANY others.
The following applies to percussion revolvers as well a cartridge arms of the American frontier period 1835-1900. The most commonly known example being Colt's Model P Single Action Army often referred to as "The Peacemaker". For this article I will refer to the Peacemaker and its clones with firing pins mounted on the hammer nose as "classics" and those single actions of recent design that have transfer bars as "moderns".
Moderns are guns like the Ruger New Model Blackhawk that have their firing pins mounted in the frame of the gun. They are equipped with a metal bar that is lifted by the action of pulling the trigger. The trigger raises the transfer bar so it fills the space between the hammer nose and the back of the firing pin, and transfers the force of the hammer's blow to fire the pistol.
Classics usually have the firing pin mounted in the hammer nose BUT some early moderns like the Roger Old Model Blackhawk, (aka The Flattop) had frame mounted firing pins, but they lacked the transfer bar, so the safety precautions described here apply to them as well.
Carrying a modern single action with a fully loaded cylinder is acceptable IF the manufacturer's instruction manual specifically says so. When in doubt, follow the rules for the Classics, and nobody is liely to get hurt. A classic single action revolver with six cartridges represents a genuine hazard to life and limb.
If the classic pistol is carried with the hammer down, the firing pin is resting on a live cartridge primer. This is the exact position the firing pin will be in if the revolver was fired. The only thing preventing ignition is the impact force of the hammer spring. Now think about all of the times a person bumps into things, hangs part of their equipment or clothing on something they are passing in the course of their day. Any of those innocent little bumps or snags could cause that hammer to be forced down on the primer hard enough to fire it. The best possible end result is soiled undergarments, but I would hate to have a premium hollow point bullet taking a chunk out of my anatomy along the way.
The half-cock notch is not and was never intended to be a safety. Its sole function is to unlock the cylinder so it can rotate to allow the weapon to be loaded or unloaded. The sear portion of the classic Colt's trigger is fairly thin, and the retaining ridge on the hammer's half-cock notch is not very robust either. Both of these parts are subject to breakage from abuse such as fanning of the hammer, or the pistol being dropped. Damage to either means the hammer is free to fall with predictable results.
Another attempt at a solution is to rest the firing pin on the space between loaded chambers. Consider that as soon as the hammer starts back the cylinder starts to turn. Snagging the hammer on a bit of brush could raise that hammer just enough to turn the chamber under the firing pic and drop it on the live round. No thanks.
The safest way to carry a classic six-shooter is to make it a five shooter by leaving one chamber empty and resting the hammer on the empty.
Load One, Skip One, Load Four More

Read the following procedure completely before practicing this manipulation. It works for almost all single action revolvers. Practice this procedure using only empty/fired cartridge cases until it becomes second nature.

1. Place the revolver on half-cock by pulling the hammer back 1 click. The cylinder should rotate freely.
2. Load the first chamber of the cylinder with an EMPTY/FIRED cartridge case.
3. Rotate the cylinder past the second chamber leaving it unloaded.
4. Load chambers three through six with EMPTY/FIRED cartridge cases.
a. Looking in the left side of the frame window, the chamber in the 11 o'clock position should be #2, the empty one.
5. Make sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction.
6. Support the pistol's frame with the weak-hand.
7. Bring the hammer back to full-cock.
8. Keep the ball of the strong-hand thumb firmly down on top of the hammer spur to control its forward motion in the next step.
9. Place the trigger finger inside the trigger guard and gently pull the trigger to release the hammer.
10. The hammer will try to move forward under pressure from the main spring.
11. Use the pressure of the strong-hand thumb to gently lower the hammer until it is its normal resting place against the frame.

If the sequence was followed correctly, the hammer is now resting over the empty chamber, and the weapon can be holstered or placed in storage. It may be tempting to just pull the hammer back slightly from half-cock and lower it into the resting position. Resist this temptation because the hammer will be resting on a loaded chamber, and the timing sequence will be interrupted. While this timing interruption may not damage the mechanism it may cause the revolver to jam.

Sorry for the long post. This was really weighing on my mind.
Our sport has enough enemies without giving them accident statistics to throw at us.

welcome to the Forum, and no need to be "sorry for the long post" I personally think it is a GOOD reminder and "safety" is a constant thing to be practiced, it should come automatically with time, BUT things beyond ones expectations can also come into play and "$#!T " still happens, guns go bang, people can get hurt............
sounds like the guys in the gun shop just know about too much and all things important, cannot get in a debate ,let alone any argument, comes to no good end........... :roll:
Good luck and the best to you and yours in this New Year :wink:

willk

Blackhawk
guys in the gun shop had assured him that Bill Hickok, Wyatt Earp, and all of the other old timers carried their guns fully loaded with the hammer down on a cartridge

Well not exactly. History shows that while Wyatt carried his revolver "fully loaded" once upon a time, Once upon another time it dropped from his holster while he was sitting in a saloon. That taught him to load it with five in and an empty chamber under the hammer. Fortunately, no one was hurt (from the errant gunshot) in this incident except for Wyatt's feelings.

Why is it so hard for people to understand how to safely load a revolver?? :?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I assume your Dad bought either a genuine Colt, one of the Italian clones or an "Old Model" Ruger. For any of these the advise you gave is absolutely to be heeded at all times.

Those guys in the gun shop are so dreadfully wrong that someone should teach them the error of their ways before someone gets hurt following their advice.

DDubya

Single-Sixer
You are missing one of the cocking positions on the old Ruger SA revolvers. The firing pin is in the frame, not on the hammer. There is a stop that is close to the full forward position. This is the old 'safe' position. The hammer is not setting on the primer in this position. The second click is the half click. After loading the gun, that is the position you put it in. The problem as has previously been pointed out, is that if the gun is dropped on the hammer then it may break the hammer off that stop and the gun may fire. Personally I think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion. It would be interesting to find out exactly how many times this happened. I'm not trying to minimize the risk or poo poo it in any way. Just wondering. I have several 3-screw models and I always load 5 just because it seems like the safe thing to do.

What I've described does not apply to the old Colts and others with the firing pin on the hammer. I do not know if those guns had the same first click position as the Ruger 3-Screw models.

Modernhoglegs

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
I assume your Dad bought either a genuine Colt, one of the Italian clones or an "Old Model" Ruger. For any of these the advise you gave is absolutely to be heeded at all times.

Those guys in the gun shop are so dreadfully wrong that someone should teach them the error of their ways before someone gets hurt following their advice.

Based on the description my dad got an Uberti Cattleman with the birdshead grip frame in .357.
It is a close copy of the Colt. e's been a modern guy all his life, and he's never really understood my fascination with the 19th century arms, but I think he'll enjoy it.

Cholo

Staff member
Excellent post about older model SA safety, Modernhoglegs! I won't say who, but one of our members had, I think, an OM Ruger .30 Carbine fall out of his holster in his kitchen and shot him clean thru while barely missing his wife with the exiting bullet! I only load 5 in mine unless at the range.

I'm not nit picking your post, but the following needs some clarification:

"1. Place the revolver on half-cock by pulling the hammer back 1 click. The cylinder should rotate freely."

You pull the hammer back 2 clicks for 1/2 cock. The 1st click is the so called "safety" notch.

Clicks:

1) "Safety" :roll:
2) 1/2 cock for loading and unloading
3) Bolt rising
4) Bolt locking into cylinder notch

DDubya

Single-Sixer
Pretty much what I was getting at, Cholo. I like your description better.

willk

Blackhawk
Heck, owning both old style Ruger Single Actions and New Models, I load them both with five shots out of habit. (leaving the hammer down on an empty chamber) For the shooting I do, if five shots won't do the job, a sixth will be a total waste of gunpowder, lead and on those rare instances when I shoot factory made bullets, gilding metal.

Where else are you gonna store your emergency spending cash???

Cholo

Staff member
DDubya said:
Pretty much what I was getting at, Cholo. I like your description better.
Oops! :oops: I think you described it quite well, DDubya! I read all posts before responding in a thread and must have gotten distracted and missed yours. I'd like to think that was the dumbest thing I did yesterday, but it wasn't by a long shot :lol:

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
What I've described does not apply to the old Colts and others with the firing pin on the hammer. I do not know if those guns had the same first click position as the Ruger 3-Screw models.

Yes, Colts also had the same 'first click position' as a Ruger Three Screw. Actually it is the other way around. The old Ruger Three Screws pretty much mimicked the old Colt actions. Same 'safety cock' notch position keeping the firing pin back about 1/8" or so from the primer, same half cock loading position that allowed the cylinder to free spin, and of course the same full cock position.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Regardless of the revolver I'm shooting, new, old, or transfer bar mechanism, I'll continue to load five. Neater that way also, as cartridges are placed five across in the box.

And none of my Single Actions hold eight or ten cartridges!

Bob Wright