Sights: Need advice for non-Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I have a 20+ year old Series 80. I don't think the current sights are stock. The front keeps coming loose. I've had it re-staked twice since I bought it a couple of years ago.

It's time to bite the bullet and have a smith replace them. I think the rear dovetail is a GI cut. I'm fine with and think I'll end up with having a dovetail milled for the front.

I'd like adjustable sights. I'm open to tritium, but not a requirement.

Can some one help me navigate the staggering array of choices?

Thanks!

DGW1949

Hunter
I'm not an expert at this stuff, but I thought I'd take a stab at this anyway;

Me thinks that you'd be hard-pressed to find an adjustable rear sight that "drops into" your existing dovetail without it being so tall that a realy-tall front sight is needed. You may or may not mind that, but be aware that such a sighting arrangement probably aint going to work all that well with whatever holster you might be using.

On the other hand, there are some real nice "low profile" adjustable sights being made these days, but all of the one's that I'm aware of require "some amount" of slide alteration.

This might be something that you'd want to talk-over with a good gunsmith....or call one of the "techs" at Brownells, articuulate your objectives, and let them recomend a proper sight combonation that will fit your needs.

Hope this helps.

DGW

revhigh

Hawkeye
Iron Mike Golf said:
I have a 20+ year old Series 80.

If it's a Colt ... you might want to think twice before modifying it if you have any interest in preserving it's maximum value.

I'd get it restaked properly if it's a Colt (if you care about the above).

I have many 1911's with staked sights, and they're just fine if they're done properly, and with the right tool.

If you DO decide to get an LPA (Low Profile Adjustable) rear sight, then I'd get the front of the slide cut with whatever dovetail offers the most variability in front sight options and heights. Be careful when doing this, as many smiths will only cut one particular dovetail (simply because they have THAT tool), and it may not be the one that offers the most options for your front sight needs.

REV

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Thanks, DGW.

Rev, I hear you on preserving "originality". It had lost a bit by the time I acquired it. I don't intend on selling it, so milling the slide is in my future.

Good point on researching front sight options regarding each particular dovetail.

Some previous work seems to have messed up the inside of the slide where it gets staked.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Iron Mike Golf said:
Thanks, DGW.

Rev, I hear you on preserving "originality". It had lost a bit by the time I acquired it. I don't intend on selling it, so milling the slide is in my future.

Good point on researching front sight options regarding each particular dovetail.

Some previous work seems to have messed up the inside of the slide where it gets staked.

Gotcha !! Good luck.

REV