Sight adjustment p93

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
The new gun I got shoots 3 inches to the left.
The rear sight is centered on the slide, but I guess I need to move it further to the right.
Any tips on moving it? It's seems stuck like it's welded on.
How far should I move it approximately? A hair? Or further?

Al James

Hunter
Its handy if you bring the tools to the range to test your adjustments. Make sure to loosen the allen headed set screw on top of the sight. Ideally the slide is secured in a vise or the like. Using a plastic punch and brass hammer tap it over. I have a formula for figuring out sight corrections.

Error in inches X sight radius in inches divided by distance to target in inches

Example- 3"[off] X 6.5"[approx sight radius] % 900"[25 yards]=.0216

That seems like a small number. I have used this formula for rifle sights when determining front sight height. I don't know how you would move a sight only .0216 :? So the formula may not be helpful. If anything I'd just move tighten test move tighten test. A dab will do ya. Good luck any pics of your piece?

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I have pictures of the gun, not the rear sight though.
Very odd because it seem perfectly centered, yet it is 3 inches off at 10 yards.
I don't want the sight hanging off the right side of the slide, so I think I'll try something really small like 1/32 of an inch moving to the right. I believe that is about as thick as pencil lead.
If that ain't good enough, then I guess it will always be shooting a bit to the left.

I loosened the allen screw and removed it.
Then I put the gun on a soft peice of carpet, and covered the sight with a thick peice of leather and beat on it pretty good with a rubber mallet and a steel punch.
Darn thing still hasn't budged. I'll have to try again tonight.
I'm just going to have to really really whack it I guess and hope I don't break the thing in half. :twisted:

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
gatorhugger":3imeymqb said:
Very odd because it seem perfectly centered, yet it is 3 inches off at 10 yards.
I don't want the sight hanging off the right side of the slide, so I think I'll try something really small like 1/32 of an inch moving to the right. I believe that is about as thick as pencil lead.
If that ain't good enough, then I guess it will always be shooting a bit to the left.

Then I put the gun on a soft peice of carpet, and covered the sight with a thick peice of leather and beat on it pretty good with a rubber mallet and a steel punch.
I'm just going to have to really really whack it I guess and hope I don't break the thing in half. :twisted:

Too much give in the carpet and leather and rubber mallet, you're losing all your force. That sight has been in that slide for a long time, it's going to take a sharp rap to get it to move and it might go too far when it breaks loose. Might think about field stripping the gun, put 2 or 3 or 4 layers of masking tape on the sides of the slide and mount it firmly ,sights up, in a bench vise (without teeth). Use a plastic or brass drift to tap the sight with a small hammer that you can give quick sharp blows with. Take your time, start out light and be careful. No need for massive force. This works for me without damaging the gun, but don't try it if it doesn't seem right to you.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ":23ybg7a4 said:
gatorhugger":23ybg7a4 said:

Too much give in the carpet and leather and rubber mallet, you're losing all your force. That sight has been in that slide for a long time, it's going to take a sharp rap to get it to move and it might go too far when it breaks loose. Might think about field stripping the gun, put 2 or 3 or 4 layers of masking tape on the sides of the slide and mount it firmly ,sights up, in a bench vise (without teeth). Use a plastic or brass drift to tap the sight with a small hammer that you can give quick sharp blows with. Take your time, start out light and be careful. No need for massive force. This works for me without damaging the gun, but don't try it if it doesn't seem right to you.
Well I don't have a plastic or brass drift. Got to use what I have.
But I do have a vise I can rig up I think and field stripping it and taping it off is a good idea. I'll give it a go, thanks.

Paine

Bearcat
Just my two cents and you might have already fooled with this but.......

Have you tried adjusting where your finger is on the trigger? Trigger control? This is stuff we all take for granted and sometimes I forget about it myself. A shooting buddy of mine has a glock, he shoots left too, and about at three inches depending on the range. I've fired it and it's dead on, so we know it's him. Just thought I'd throw it out there before ya start dingin on your pistol. Hope ya get 'er figured out.

-P

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Paine":35eatj9g said:
Just my two cents and you might have already fooled with this but.......

Have you tried adjusting where your finger is on the trigger? Trigger control? This is stuff we all take for granted and sometimes I forget about it myself. A shooting buddy of mine has a glock, he shoots left too, and about at three inches depending on the range. I've fired it and it's dead on, so we know it's him. Just thought I'd throw it out there before ya start dingin on your pistol. Hope ya get 'er figured out.

-P

You make a really good point. The OP does own another P93 if I remember so it may not be control. Wouldn't hurt to shoot it off a rest to be sure. My latest pistol shoots nice tight groups 2" high & 2" left at 10 yards. Going to shoot off a solid rest before I start moving sights.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Nah, it wasn't trigger control. I think the last owner messed with a bit.
Here are the two guns with my new P93 on the bottom with the Hogue finger grips.
Pguns011.jpg

I managed to move the rear sight where I can just see a sliver of metal slide on the left side. What a Big difference it made, moved the point of impact 3 inches to the right.
Actually my old P93 also has a sliver of metal showing on the left side of the slide as well so now they pretty much match.
Pguns006.jpg

Now it shoots pretty good. These bottom targets were braced and shot at 10 yards. Thanks for the help guys, I just needed to brace it more to get the sight to move. They are stuck in there pretty good if anyone else has to try. Just keep smacking it a little at a time, harder and harder.
Pguns012.jpg

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Yep that is a nice 5 shot group! These guns as are accurate as the shooter is most of the time. I like em!
Best $300 gun ever made in my opinion.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
Yep that is a nice 5 shot group! "These guns as are accurate as the shooter is most of the time. I like em! Best $300 gun ever made in my opinion. "
+1