Short grip frame GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
At the gun shop I came across an odd looking GP100. It appeared to have a 4" partially shrouded barrel and fixed sights. After picking it up I immediately noticed the grip was shorter than my own GP100. My RENE guide mentions a KGPF340, but later references a Law Enforcement Catslog where they were listed with a short grip frame. The serial number is 173-555xx. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
Fixed site GP-100's came with 'compact' grips...

The internal post is the same size, so grips are interchangeable...

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
My KGPF-340 from 1988:

23vj9kp.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Yeah ..... what Salmoneye said.

I was a tight-wad about 10 years ago and passed on a 4 inch, half shroud, blued, fixed site, with compact grips, new in the box for $400.00. I swear my gun regrets are far more on the ones I didn't buy!

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
As said above, fixed sight models came in 3 and 4 inch bbls and had short grips. I switched out my short grips for long grips and it felt much better in my hand. Many times it was the other way around. Those with long grips wanted short grips. and so it goes. :)

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
Yes that's the one. I'm glad to hear about the grips being replaceable. I might pick this up with a Hogue grip. It looks like it will be a great back up to my other GP. Thanks for the info!

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
MalteseHoss said:
Yes that's the one. I'm glad to hear about the grips being replaceable. I might pick this up with a Hogue grip. It looks like it will be a great back up to my other GP. Thanks for the info!

Shoot it with the compacts before you invest in a different grip...

Many people (including me) prefer the compacts to the full size originals...

To me the Hogues are just butt-ugly, and uncomfortable...

YMMV

I also prefer the compact grip. Ruger kept them scarce for a long time, but now they can be had thru shopruger.com

http://shopruger.com/Rubber-Grips-with-Rosewood-Inserts-Compact/productinfo/70084/

trapperon

Blackhawk
I vote for the ruger compact size as well. Also--the gp compact takes the same insert as the SP101. My 3 inch short lug stainless has the compacts and I put in the SP black plastic inserts. Its a tank----and the fixed sights are dead on!

Ron

pi2

Bearcat
Thanks.

You fellows have made me feel a lot better.

I picked up one of these GP100s a while back (4", fixed sight, full shroud) and thought the grip seemed smaller than others I have held and shot. It just seemed that my pinkie finger migrated to the bottom of the grip too easily. (My hands have not grown any in over 60 years)

I put on a set of Hogue grips (yes they are ugly but for me they are the best ride around) and I love it. Amazing that it shoots to POA perfectly.

It prefers 158 grain bullets much more than the lighter sizes.

Anyone else noticing the same thing? (Not intending to drift the thread.)

Again... Thanks.

I never knew Ruger made the GPs with a small grip.

In fact, I bought it because I had never seen one with fixed sights.

It is a jewel.

eveled

Hawkeye
My fixed sight GP was used, and came with the hogue installed. I debated buying it. Then decided to go for it. I was very happy to find the stock small grips in the box. At the time they were highly sought after.

woodsy

Blackhawk
So, in essence, we are not talking about a short grip frame, but simply a short grip, correct? In that case, the sky is almost the limit. Like when I cut down a GP100 Hogue grip and added a lanyard-style screw, so I could carry while horse-riding, or hiking, or boating, and have the gun secured to my belt via a lanyard.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
woodsy said:
So, in essence, we are not talking about a short grip frame, but simply a short grip, correct? In that case, the sky is almost the limit. Like when I cut down a GP100 Hogue grip and added a lanyard-style screw, so I could carry while horse-riding, or hiking, or boating, and have the gun secured to my belt via a lanyard.
Correct. Before going to the long grip, I tried the Hogues. That was a waste of money and found that the long grip was what I needed. As mentioned, and testimony from others on this thread, more people prefer the short grip!

eveled

Hawkeye
Colonel Daddy said:
woodsy said:
Correct. Before going to the long grip, I tried the Hogues. That was a waste of money and found that the long grip was what I needed. As mentioned, and testimony from others on this thread, more people prefer the short grip!

Likely you tried the middle size grips the fixed sight guns came with even smaller houges, than the standard size used on the adjustable guns.