Shooting the Ruger SR-762 out of an open window

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jdubb16

Bearcat
Im curious, who has done it- shot a .30 calibre or greater out of an open window? Is it advisable? My concern is that even though the window is open, the explosion and shock of firing the round may break the glass. The muzzle and ejection port would be less than two feet from the glass... What do ya-all think? I don't want the glass to break and rain shards down on me!

Here is my rifle. I had added some furniture here and there but not altered the internals at all. I would consider this rifle "done" and it is now in my rotation...

Thanks, JBW

photo.php

photo.php

jdubb16

Bearcat
I don't see my images. Oh well, it's not important- just photos of my rifle and the window shooting position... How do I add the images?

CoolLogic

Bearcat
I did it years ago when I was too young/dumb to be concerned. Used my 30-06 to kill a ground hog in the garden about 110 yards away. I thought it would muffle the sound and not rattle the neighbors. My neighbor was at his mailbox getting the morning paper and said it sounded more like a small explosion than a gun shot. He still jumped out of his skin so I guess it didn't work as a muffler. The window was fine though. The ground hog not so much.

CoolLogic

jdubb16

Bearcat
powder smoke said:
Two of my friends have coyote baits set up with motion sensors. Often get awakened
in the middle of the night. They shoot out their windows with no ill effect. YMMV. ps

Yep. I'm going after yotes. They are getting thick on us. Had a few of them trot right through the yard yesterday morning and before I could get my rifle from the safe, they were gone... So we have a 4th story on our ranch house and no neighbors for miles. I've got an electronic call... Going to lure them in and take the shots...

Hey thanks for the reply.

jdubb16

Bearcat
CoolLogic said:
I did it years ago when I was too young/dumb to be concerned. Used my 30-06 to kill a ground hog in the garden about 110 yards away. I thought it would muffle the sound and not rattle the neighbors. My neighbor was at his mailbox getting the morning paper and said it sounded more like a small explosion than a gun shot. He still jumped out of his skin so I guess it didn't work as a muffler. The window was fine though. The ground hog not so much.

CoolLogic

Hahaha, Yeah I should know better than to try this but we are isolated out on the ranch so no neighbors to speak of. But my wife will have to endure the "small explosion"! She is patient with me so we'll see how it goes. If I get my yotes she'll be more ready to forgive me than if not..

Thanks for the reply,

JBW

Speaking from years and years of experience, just make sure you have the muzzle OUTSIDE(more outside is better than just barely). Also make sure your window is rolled all the way down because if something catches the edge of a partly open window, there's a good chance it will break.
One reason local guys don't like Mini-14's so much--the violent ejection pattern sends empties ricocheting around the cab like rockets. You can usually tell the guys shooting AR's as they have a bunch of empty cases scattered amongst the gloves, checkbooks, feed store receipts, and binos on the dash. The Mini-14 shooters will be seen picking up brass that falls out when someone opens a door and cases may be found under, in, or behind the seat, down the defroster vents, or on top of the sunvisors.

jdubb16

Bearcat
Mobuck said:
Speaking from years and years of experience, just make sure you have the muzzle OUTSIDE(more outside is better than just barely). Also make sure your window is rolled all the way down because if something catches the edge of a partly open window, there's a good chance it will break.
One reason local guys don't like Mini-14's so much--the violent ejection pattern sends empties ricocheting around the cab like rockets. You can usually tell the guys shooting AR's as they have a bunch of empty cases scattered amongst the gloves, checkbooks, feed store receipts, and binos on the dash. The Mini-14 shooters will be seen picking up brass that falls out when someone opens a door and cases may be found under, in, or behind the seat, down the defroster vents, or on top of the sunvisors.

Thanks bud. Im going to give it a whirl and see what happens. But, Im shooting out of an open HOUSE window, not a truck window.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I've been known to shoot a Model 99 .300 Savage out the window at camp. Also, a .50cal inline muzzleloader.

Forearm rested on the windowsill with some padding.

No adverse effects on the window, and it wasn't all the way open.

Eye and ear protection is still advised.

Along a similar line, if you shoot from the garage, make sure the muzzle is OUTSIDE the door!

Aqualung

CoolLogic

Bearcat
I tried putting the muzzle out the window but the groundhog was too skiddish for that. When I fired the muzzle was about two to three feet from the window sill. HEARING PROTECTION IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST!!!
I was using Remington 700,30-06. I'm not familiar with the SR-762. Does it have a compensator or flash hider that redirects gasses upward? Don't set the drapes on fire!

CoolLogic

gtxmonte

Buckeye
My reloading room is upstairs in my attic and my shooting range is across my back yard. So I shoot out of an open window every day. Sometimes the barrel is out the window, sometimes not. The only time I make SURE the barrel is well outside, is if the rifle has a muzzle brake.

Blackmore

Blackhawk
Before he was married, a buddy lived in a second floor garage apartment overlooking his landlord's fields. He had carte blanche to shoot any chuck, yote or other varmint he could. Set up a table for his bipoded rifle under the open window and had at it. Lots of success, no broken glass. Since the muzzle was inside, proper ear and eye protection was a must.

" But, Im shooting out of an open HOUSE window, not a truck window."

Sorry, I finally picked up on that after the 3rd reading. Got all wrapped up in the flying brass image in my head.
I've seen snipers shoot from the back corner of a room through a single missing pane of a multi-pane window w/o blowing the other panes out of the frame. For your purpose, I'd say it would be better to get the muzzle well past the window frame. I've shot 22lr and 22mag from inside through an open window but center fire will require doubling up on the ear protection and will loosen/raise any dust that might be present(to say the least).

jdubb16

Bearcat
Thanks for all the info guys. I feel confident that shooting out the window won't be a problem... I got all set up yesterday evening, started calling for the yotes, and never saw one... that's hunting for you. So I never did Fire a round. But when I do I think it will be fine. Thanks again.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Before I built an awning/dog kennel on the side of the barn, the window of my reloading room looked right out onto my range...I shot out of it a few times, mostly with a H&R Handi-rifle in .357 Max. Good times :mrgreen:

marko

Bearcat
Nothing at all against hunting coyotes, but it might be worth remembering that its pretty much established that the more you kill the bigger litters they throw. And you may well be contributing to selective breeding by killing off the dumb ones. I used to shoot house sparrows out of the bathroom window with a scoped .22 when I was a kid. Never came to an end of them either ..... they still out competed the native song birds and just got really difficult to "control". My mom got tired of the noise too.

I'd wear some serious ear protection.