Service Six Bent(Slightly) Ejector Rod

Help Support Ruger Forum:

one bullet

Single-Sixer
I have a Service Six I bought years ago to put up as safe queen, at least for now. I bought it used but it looks brand new. The cylinder locks up tight, opens and closes fine, and operates as it should. I noticed the ejector rod has a slight wobble to it if you spin the cylinder. The rod is tight and I can't tighten or loosen it by hand. I know how to disassemble the gun but not the cylinder itself. I have already acquired a replacement ejector rod. I can't find a video that show this repair for a Six series gun in detail, on YouTube. Is anyone aware of one?

I do not have a vice to put the cylinder assembly into to help unscrew the rod. Any advice on how to tighten or loosen the rod without a vice, without marring or damaging the new rod, when I install it? Any help on this repair would be much appreciated!

The ejector rod unscrews by turning it clockwise, it is a left handed thread.

Take the gun apart to the point where you can remove the cylinder/crane assembly. Put two or more fired cases in the chambers. Hold the cylinder in one hand and use a small pair of pliers to grip the knurled end of the ejector rod. Turn the rod clockwise to remove. When reinstalling, be careful when tightening so the pliers don't slip and gash the knurled end of the ejector rod. I have a specially made pair of vise grips that have smooth inserts installed to grip the knurled end so as to not mark it up.

I would NOT use any loc-tite on the ejector rod threads, it really doesn't need it and makes it all the harder to take if off later if needed.

The fired cases in the chambers takes the stress off the two locator pins for the ejector and rod. With too much force they can be sheared off.

one bullet

Single-Sixer
Thanks you sir. I just don't know how to grip the ejector rod without marring the knurled part. Maybe it will break loose without too much force needed.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
FYI -

One idea would be to not use pliers directly on the ejector rod. Rather, you can wrap the rod in a piece of leather or with a piece of small rubber hose and use the pliers on top of that. I also know of someone who put the ejector rod between a wooden clothes pin and grasped that with the pliers.

These measures will prevent scraping/marring of your ejector rod.

Bayou52

If I didn't have my "special" vise grips I would go with the clothes pin method. The wood on the clothespin will grip the knurled part and you'll be able to get good pressure with the pliers or a small vise grips.

Or, put the knurled part in your vise between two pieces of wood or leather and turn the cylinder with your hands.

If using the wood, drill a piece of wood with a drill bit that is smaller that the diameter of the knurled piece then cut the piece of wood in half down the middle of the hole OR use the clothespin method with the clothespin clamped in the vise. Lots of different (yet the same) variations of doing this.

Timely post, for me!

Just bought a nice stainless Security-Six. Looks pretty good, except for the blue ejector rod! :p

Bought a Six-series "parts kit" here a few years ago. Sold the barrel to a member in need, now it looks like I might be using the ejector rod.

Or maybe I'll just run with the Pinto look, while singing "I built it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime..." :mrgreen:

simply cut off a piece ( end) of an old leather belt,,, you can use two pieces or fold it over then use the pliers, or a vise or whatever..........if you use the leather in vise, make sure you put some "EMPTY"?? brass cases in the chambers of the cylinder to support it when you turn it off.......... 8) :roll: :wink: