Seems like a "No Brainer" but why no .30 Carbine ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

piratedude

Single-Sixer
It seems like a no brainer given that the Mini-14 was inspired by the M1 Carbine (which it is more similar to than the M14 in many ways). So why no .30 Carbine model? It would be best, of course, if such a design used M1 Carbine mags, as opposed to making us buy inferior and overpriced Ruger mags.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I can't see the market for it.

The M1 Carbine cartridge isn't particularly loved or particularly useful, especially now that all the cheap surplus ammo had dried up (decades ago). The main reason it's hung on THIS long is that people just love the M1 Carbine itself.

Both the .223 and 7.62 COMBLOK chamberings are superior, and their ammo costs no more (actually, less, in most cases). What would be the appeal or point of a Ruger Mini in .30 USC? :?

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
Ruger already produces a 30 caliber semi-auto... the Mini-30. It is more powerful than the 30 carbine but is still easy on the shoulder and inexpensive.

I personally don't see the need for a 30 carbine version.

Just my 2 cents worth.

piratedude

Single-Sixer
Well I'm a mag guy. You know I buy guns that use mags I've already stashed. That's actually why I don't buy a Mini-14 or Mini-13, because I have a bunch of AR mags (couple hundred), and about 50 AK mags. So I just buy ARs (or guns that use AR mags) and AKs. But since I've got M1 Carbine mags.... I would buy one if it took M1 C mags, but not if it took proprietary mags.

And while I agree it isn't an optimal caliber, I went beyond the point of buying guns that I "needed" a long time ago.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I know this is a wild idea, but...you could just buy an M1 carbine.... :? :? :wink:

piratedude

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:
I know this is a wild idea, but...you could just buy an M1 carbine.... :? :? :wink:

I guess because I wanted a Ruger with a polymer stock and which would be something that I would be more likely to abuse.....

But since you are so concerned about it....

Maybe you should write Ruger a letter and tell them to shut down because they weren't the original company to make guns in those rounds (except for the Ruger rounds of course).

Your letter could be something like this:

"Wink: I got me a good idear stop making them guns and tell peoples to buy other guns: Wink."

Snake45

Hawkeye
piratedude said:
Snake45 said:

I guess because I wanted a Ruger with a polymer stock and which would be something that I would be more likely to abuse.....

But since you are so concerned about it....

Maybe you should write Ruger a letter and tell them to shut down because they weren't the original company to make guns in those rounds (except for the Ruger rounds of course).

Your letter could be something like this:

"Wink: I got me a good idear stop making them guns and tell peoples to buy other guns: Wink."
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wouldn't it make more sense for YOU to write them a letter and say, "Hey, I wantchy'all to make up some Mini-14s in .30 Carbine acause I got me a big 'ol mess a .30 Carbine mag-o-zines and I shore would like to use 'em in one-a y'allzuns guns!

:wink:

EVR

Single-Sixer
There was a day when the .30 Carbine was common as dirt and water.

Iver Johnson, etc made commercial .30's and they sold pretty much like hotcakes at a logging camp, but that was before the popularizing of intermediate Assault Rifle rounds like the 7.62x39 and 5.56.

In truth, tho the .30 Carbine is a very handy and very useful little rifle with soft point bullets, the round is more or less commercially obsolescent.

I cannot see a reason why Ruger would gin out a .30 Carbine either, tho if they maybe redesigned the round just a bit to start about a 125 grain bullet at about 2350 fps it might generate some interest................................ ;)

Snake45

Hawkeye
EVR said:
...if they maybe redesigned the round just a bit to start about a 125 grain bullet at about 2350 fps it might be generate some interest................................ ;)
Oh great, just what we need--more "RUGER ONLY" loading data. :wink:

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
EVR said:
I cannot see a reason why Ruger would gin out a .30 Carbine either, tho if they maybe redesigned the round just a bit to start about a 125 grain bullet at about 2350 fps it might generate some interest................................ ;)

Sounds like a 7.62x39mm to me. :?

EVR

Single-Sixer
Editted.

Look, Mr. BB Michigander, next time have the common decency to Private Message me and give me the heads up as to my typomoronic mistake.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bennettfam

Single-Sixer
piratedude may not be all that off. On a trip to Israel I saw the police in the old City of Jerusalem packing M1 Carbines. I guess they produce them new in Israel still, and use them in the heavily populated old city due to the overpenetration of the M16/M4 rifles, and the wimpiness and too-short barrels of the 9mm UZIs. The M1 Carbine was a good ballistic compromise in a high-capacity, low cost weapon.

It was kinda cool seeing those young men and women packing our old WWII design guns around.

Snake45

Hawkeye
bennettfam said:
piratedue may not be all that off. On a trip to Israel I saw the police in the old City of Jerusalem packing M1 Carbines. I guess they produce them new in Israel still, and use them in the heavily populated old city due to the overpenetration of the M16/M4 rifles, and the wimpiness and too-short barrels of the 9mm UZIs. The M1 Carbine was a good ballistic compromise in a high-capacity, low cost weapon.

It was kinda cool seeing those young men and women packing our old WWII design guns around.
An original Inland M1 carbine loaded with Winchester hollowpoints is one of my primary "home defense" guns, and has been for over 20 years. It's one of the few things that cartridge is particularly useful for these days. Outstanding short-range "stopping power" (according to the old NYC Stakeout Squad), (relatively) low muzzle blast, light, short and handy--what's not to like for HD use? :wink:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
piratedude said:
Snake45 said:

Auto-Ordnance makes new M1 Carbines in three configurations including a folding polymer stock. 8)

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/PA-1AO_m1.html

...Jimbo

Coop

Blackhawk
Please bear with me pards,

IMO, this is the most totally useless firearm thread I've ever seen here on the RF.

The .30 Caliber M-1 Carbine is available thru many organizations/gun shows as one could ever see/attend. There are many M-1 Carbine WWII/Korea rebuilds out here in our gun world. I have several WWII versions, and I enjoy shooting them all.

BTW, I would never own a '50s-60s knockoff version.

Why would SR ever want to make one?

Coop

bennettfam

Single-Sixer
Coop said:
Why would SR ever want to make one?

Coop

Why did Remington start making 1911s when there are dozens on the market already? Answer: they thought they could sell them and make some money. May not be much of a market in this case but stranger things have happened.

Latest posts