Security Six Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
I just bought a 1977 6" blue Security Six. Being in CA. I have to wait for it to clear before I can pick it up. It has a pachmayr grip right now, my question is what orginal wood grip came on that year. I have seen 2 different types on that gun.

Thanks, Dusterman

stantheman86

Buckeye
It would have had either the wood slim grips with the diamond checkered onto it, or the Target Grips, otherwise known as the "Big Grip". I have seen some 6" Security Sixes in the box, labeled as having a "Big Grip" from the factory.

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
You can buy the target (big) grips at SHOPRUGER.COM or other vendors such as CDNN, Brownells, Guns America, Gun Broker, etc.

Ruger made a million of those guns and I see factory grip sets at gun shows all the time.

I have seen them in the Ruger Forum classifieds section too.
Here are pictures of the original grips plus two versions of the rubber ones.

003.jpg

Very nice revolvers by the way.

Dave

stantheman86

Buckeye
Be advised that the later production "Big" grips were made by Sile, just with Ruger plastic medallions in them. Before you pay a premium for a set of Ruger grips, those Sile grips are everywhere for $15.

PC260003.JPG

These are the Sile big grips, and they look identical to a set of later Ruger branded grips I have.

hittman

Staff member
Some also came with rubber grips. If you call the nice ladies in Rugers Records Department and share with them the serial number of your gun, they should be able to tell you the model number. If the model number has a "T" at the end, it came with the bigger target wood grips, if it had a "P" it came with Pachmayr rubber.

stantheman86

Buckeye
The later Sixes came with rubber, probably from the mid 80's or so to the end of production. I have 5 Service and Speed Sixes from 1986 and all of them came with the Sile rubbers with the Ruger logo.

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
Dusterman-
If I were you I would get a set of stags from Sack Peterson. I recently bought a cherry Security Six with that in mind but as it turned out, it is a first year model with a different grip style and Sack only makes the later style grips.

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
Thanks everyone for the info. I see I'm going to be picking up a couple of different grips to try out. I want to get the wood grips that would have come on this gun because I like that type of grips.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a 1985 Redhawk 7 1/2" blue with original wood grips in excellent condition and plan on keeping it that way.

Twobisquit the stags sound nice but this Six is a shooter. It seems to have been taken care of but also shot a fair amount. It has a rubber grip now (not factory) but my plan is to get a wood Ruger grip I like and keep shooting and enjoying it.

Thanks again, Dusterman

rdf009

Single-Sixer
@ Sam Johnson,
If dusterman didn't buy your security six grips, then I might be interested. I need a set of wood non-target grips in very good shape. Please let me know asap because there's a set on gunbroker that I will probably buy tomorrow morning if I don't hear back. I'll send you an email also. Thanks. - Russ

Latest posts