Security Six frames

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mac66

Single-Sixer
I just picked this snubby up yesterday. I bought a new 4" stainless Security 6 in 1976 and carried it on duty for a couple of years. I regrettably sold it when I switched PDs. Been wanting one ever since and ran across this snubby locally. One thing I noticed is that my 76 had a rounded, thick frame behind the cylinder while this one (made in '82) is scalloped.

Does anyone know when Ruger changed the frame design and went to the scalloped frame?

And yes, a previous owner polished the stainless finish to a high gloss. Not sure I like it but couldn't pass up the chance to get a Six again.

hittman

Staff member
I don't remember what year or s/n range began the scalloped recoil shield.

But I do know that patience, a light touch and green or burgundy scotch brite pad work will restore the factory brushed look.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the tip on the Scotch pads. I'll give it a try if I decide that the finish is too shiny. I can always polish it back.

As for the scalloped frame. The more I read the more I think that it's likely that 1980 was the year they switched. That's the year the Redhawk was introduced and it had the scalloped frame from the beginning. It is likely they changed i.e. updated the 6 to match the RH at the same time.

My blue 2 3/4" Police Service Six .357 has a 159- prefix and the "scalloped" shield. One of my favorite revolvers once I got some smooth Cocabola oversize combat grips for and it stopped "biting the hand that feeds it."

They are just full enough to mitigate the .357 recoil so my arthritic hands can stand a decent range session. They have the "peek-a-boo window" on the butt so you can see the serial number and a silver/black Ruger logo.

I got them from a member on the "Classifieds" (thanks, they are perfect for me!) and wonder if they were a factory aftermarket offering? The gun came to me ("used" but not much) with square butt checkered walnut "service grips" which I believe are original to it.

The "oversize" grips were both a standard issue on some of the Six series guns and were also sold by Ruger as an aftermarket part. When installed at the factory, Ruger called them Target grips. Ruger also installed, at the factory, Pachmayr Presentation grips on some of the Sixes as well as Pachmayr compact grips on the Speed Sixes (IIRC).

hittman

Staff member
H9XOJlnh.jpg

I've got these grips (pictured on top) on my 6 inch Security Six.

They look really big on a snubby though.

Think I got them at Numrich a few years back and they were in the $35 range. To me, they're really a good fit and feel on the 6 inch guns.

The ones I have on my Police Service Six look shorter than the "Target" grips shown in the Ruger ad above, and have a rounded butt profile. I don't see any sign of them having been cut back or rounded by an owner. Their shape reminds me of the "compact" grips that Ruger sold for 3" GP-100s.

Sorry I can't show a pic!

JStacy

Blackhawk
Hitman I have those goncolo Alvez on both of my 6" SS. BTW I think those grips were made for Ruger by Hogue . I know they were only made for a couple of years and , like you, like the feel and fit of those grips !

chet15

Hawkeye
The scalloped frame started showing up in the 158- prefix, but I have seen a 159- with the old frame. Just depended when the old supply of frames for a particular model (of the three) was used up.
Chet15

Terry T

Buckeye
It's been my observation that the material removed from the scalloped area was added to the top strap. The weight did not change with the scallop. I've compared scalloped and non scalloped fixed sight frames. The top strap actually measures as thicker in the scalloped frames.

Terry T.

mac66

Single-Sixer
158 seems a little late to me since Ruger brought out the Redhawk in 1980 (prefix 155) and it had a scalloped frame from the start. If I had to guess I would guess Ruger would have updated the 6 series at the same time.

My '82 has a 158 prefix and I pretty sure some guys on another forum reported early prefix's (156 ) with scalloped frames. I would be interested in whether pre 155 (i.e, 154 and earlier) had rounded frames and 155 and above had scalloped ones. Purely speculation on my part. I have no proof.

hittman

Staff member
I don't get the analogy with Six Series and Redhawk. Two totally different guns except for the fact that they're both revolvers. And the Six series was replaced by the GP, not Redhawk.

I'd go with the dates / times Chet15 figures.

mac66

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
I don't get the analogy with Six Series and Redhawk. Two totally different guns except for the fact that they're both revolvers. And the Six series was replaced by the GP, not Redhawk.

I'd go with the dates / times Chet15 figures.

Well I think the connection is very obvious. The Redhawk was introduced in 1980 and had a same/similar profile/look (albeit larger) as the 6. Yes, it is a different design internally but it was basically a scaled up 6. When they brought it out it had the scalloped recoil shield. It would stand to reason that introducing that similar looking revolver they would update the look, hence the scalloped recoil shield. It would also stand to reason that they would update the look of the original 6 series at the same time since the 6 had been out for something like 8 years by then. I will concede that there is a chance that the 6 series was updated at a latter time than when the RH came out but as I said the ascetics are obvious.

So, evidence to the contrary, I'm sticking with the Redhawk theory. You can believe what you want. :)

mac66

Single-Sixer
eyeseeum said:
mac66, I have a 6 inch security six with 155 prefix that is rounded

That's some proof. Thanks. Anybody else care to share their prefixs and frame type?

chet15

Hawkeye
My notes show the scallop begins to appear by at least s/n 158-14100 (production of guns without the scallop are generally thought to have stopped by s/n 158-31335). However, three other revolvers, an SS32 s/n 158-74023, GF-34 s/n 159-50313 and GA-34 s/n 159-80063 are also known without the scallop, and must have been old castings that finally made it into Ruger's machining process.
The change began to appear in 1982.
Chet15

hittman

Staff member
I don't have any 158- s/n guns.

Mine 157- and before are round recoil shield.

Mine 159-, 161- and 162- are scalloped.