security-six 6" barrel - question about gun value

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rugerhunter

Bearcat
1973 version

with 6" barrel

what would be a fair general value - let's say good/great condition, but with use and normal wear?

I might have a chance to get this from a friend - want to know value

also what info is there on the 6" barrel? how many were made? This is a less common barrel length right?

thanks for any info

Rugerhunter

Bearcat
it is a 150 series # so that is the first 3 years of production - said to be '73. Don't have pictures

It appears in good shape. Is $300 good price? $400 too much?

any info on the 6" barrel -- weren't most made with the shorter barrels?

Six series gun prices are skyrocketing on Gunbroker, you really can't find many under $400 now. Speed Sixes are selling for the highest amounts, then Police Service Sixes then Security Sixes.

A $300 price could be considered a steal.

Even a 150 low back is a great gun, the only problen is finding after market grips. You can find them on eBay and Gunbroker but they want a premium now.

Myself, I would jump on it if offered at $300, wouldn't even think about it.

Rugerhunter

Bearcat
Probably considered a shooter

but here is a pic link

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l296/seaside90245/RugerSecurity6357mag.jpg

hope it works

hittman

Staff member
Nice find! Hopefully some of your fellow CA members will come forward soon as I think these can not be imported into CA so ..... the ones you find there are all you have to chose from!

You just can not have too many Six Series double action Rugers!

oatmeal1

Bearcat
I just purchased this pistol last week here in Ga from a friend. Excellent gun I am very happy with it. Anything under 400 would be great but if you can get it close to 300 It would be a steal especially if any ammo speedloader, holster etc comes with it. Like said in previous post I dont think you have have enough of these!

Terry T

Buckeye
Gun can not be imported to Ca. - it's not on the 'safe' gun list.
The low back 6" guns are out there but not real common. Only about 500 were made up in 38 spl. The 357 is more common than the 38spl.
I'd say $400 is a fair price between friends.
Terry T

larry8

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
If it's not a low back, it's fairly common. If it's in very good to excellent shape ~ anything under $400 would be normal around these parts. Here's a pic of the low back grip design used on some with the 150 prefix.

Can anyone post a pic of a "lowback" and a "highback" together so we can see the difference?
I would like to see the difference between each type so I can recognise each one when I go to the shows.

Chris

Blackhawk
Larry

Check this link, it should answer a lot of questions you may have.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=123640#p1236783

Chris

Terry T

Buckeye
Bigbill,
At the present time there are only two 6" stainless, LOW BACK Security Sixs known. :shock: IF the one you are talking about is a low back, than $400 is a low price.
However, if it's the later high back, then $400 is ball park plus or minus, say, $50. There are some special models that could demand a higher price.
Terry T