Security Six 357 fixed sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
Just traded for one.....first I'd ever seen...I thought it was a Police Six...Blue with a 4inch barrel 95%
Are these rare ?

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
I'm learning about these too.....does "Low Back" and "old frame" refer to the same thing?

When did the "high back" or "new frame" come into play?

The little I've read about fixed sight Security Six's always refers to a 150 prefix serial number.......Was the Fixed Sight Security Six only produced durring the 150 prefix?

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I took a couple of quick pics. I'll post em later ..traded a Taurus 24/7 9mm and $ 50.00 I went looking for a snubbie..... but just couldn't leave this ole Ruger

Flash

Buckeye
Yes, low back is or can be refered to as an old frame. They were the 150 prefix and both fixed and adjustable sight versions were Security Six guns. It wasn't until the 151 prefix that the frame was changed and the fixed sight version was labeled the Service Six.

Flash

Buckeye
Buckeye! said:
I took a couple of quick pics. I'll post em later ..traded a Taurus 24/7 9mm and $ 50.00 I went looking for a snubbie..... but just couldn't leave this ole Ruger

You did good. You'll get your money out of the Ruger quicker than you will out of the Taurus.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
8e8.jpg

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
Thats just the flash causing that lighting above the trigger guard .....nice blueing no pits or rust.....

stantheman86

Buckeye
Nice find, that's one that I need!

Bill Ruger was a savvy guy, and the fixed sight Security Six was renamed "Police Service Six" to make it more marketable as a utility grade service revolver for LE sales, and probably to help differentiate all the models, once the Speed Six came out, it would have gotten confusing to have 3 different models with 2 different names.

I saw a rare one on GunBroker last summer, it was a DAO .38 Special 2 3/4" fixed sight Security Six, being sold by Ruger Auctions. Apparently it was an early prototype.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
This gun has deep dark beautiful blueing a little rubbed off on the sharp edges of the cylinder and toward the muzzle...very tight .....

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
382.jpg

Pic of my Police Service Six SS 357mag...has had a action job ..smoooth ..

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
By comparing the photos of the two ..you can obviously see the 'Low Back' on the blued Security Six ..Dang that gun feels good....

Flash

Buckeye
stantheman86 said:
Nice find, that's one that I need!

Bill Ruger was a savvy guy, and the fixed sight Security Six was renamed "Police Service Six" to make it more marketable as a utility grade service revolver for LE sales, and probably to help differentiate all the models, once the Speed Six came out, it would have gotten confusing to have 3 different models with 2 different names.

I saw a rare one on GunBroker last summer, it was a DAO .38 Special 2 3/4" fixed sight Security Six, being sold by Ruger Auctions. Apparently it was an early prototype.

Not necessarily. The early Speed Six and Service Six guns were built on the left over low back Security Six frames. A rare one indeed but probably not a prototype.

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
Buckeye! said:

1)Your Security-Six looks to be well preserved! It's a great revolver that you can surely be proud of!

2)Following is a picture of my Early frame fixed sight .357 Security-Six. I was just fortunate to have discovered this revolver in NIB condition-so, I'm just collecting this mint gun!:
P1000855.jpg

P1000854.jpg

Athanasor

Bearcat
Happened on this thread last night while I was doing research on these types of Rugers because I stumbled on one, half-hidden under a jumble of beater type guns in the most out-of-the-way case in a LGS. Could only see the grips. Anyway...

it's a 1981 Police Service Six, blue 4" barrel in 38spl. Fantastic shape, very faint cylinder line, NO holster wear, no rust, no major nicks anywhere on metal or wood - very little evidence of having been fired much. I went back in this morning with a bore light - perfect bore, tight action, no cylinder play.

I don't need one of these but wouldn't mind having one. Price marked at $400, I offered the clerk $300 - he said I was $75 short. I said thanks and left. From my research on closed auctions at AA and GB, $300 was a very good price - especially on a 38spl only. There is no happy ending to this story ... yet. I'll bet the owner of the shop will be more amenable to haggeling.

stantheman86

Buckeye
$375 for a nice Service Six .38 Special is reasonable, not a steal but in 2-3 years that price will be a memory.......I've been buying holster buffed trade-in Service Six .38's for $200-300, I'll have to drag them all out for a photo when I'm done cleaning them up. I have a couple nearly mint ones I keep just for "looking" but it's the beat ones that I do a lot of the shooting with.

Prices are creeping up for the DA Sixes, there's starting to be a "crossover" because S&W K-frames are blowing up in price, and people are seeing beat up trade in Model 10's going for $300, and then seeing nice Ruger Service Sixes for the same price and that is driving the prices up. Soon a minty Six will be a $5-600 gun.

Now is the time to dive all over any decent Six you find......people dog me out for picking up the "scratched ,dinged and denteds" that look like they were hit with a handful of ball bearings and then thrown down a flight of concrets stairs :lol: but I figure I won't be seeing $200 Sixes for very much longer. I think it's also become sort of a compulsion, to just keep buying these guns :D I spread them all out on the floor and the sight of 8 blue Service Sixes just looked right to me :p

38Six2.jpg

wornsix.jpg

These are typical of what I've been buying over the past few months....they're fugly but they shoot and work 100%, and they don't lack for "character" 8) I use them as carry guns, car guns, range guns, or just beat around guns. I don't have to worry about hurting them any. I also picked up a 6" blue GP100 in similiar condition.