SCV Picnic

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
loaded round said:
Sons Of Confederate Veterans.

Hi,

So just out of curiosity, how many members HAD Daddies in that war? The chances are getting pretty slim, but my calculator says it's possible there might actually be one or two still hanging on somewhere, most likely at age 100+ (and Daddy's name was Tony Randall.) My grandfather, an honest to goodness son of a Union veteran, died in 1972 at the age of 84. Those guys in the picture look way younger now than he did, then!

I've heard Southerners live longer than lots of other folks, but this is amazing. Must be the food! It certainly looks good... ;)

Rick C

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Rick Courtright said:
loaded round said:
Sons Of Confederate Veterans.

Hi,

So just out of curiosity, how many members HAD Daddies in that war? The chances are getting pretty slim, but my calculator says it's possible there might actually be one or two still hanging on somewhere, most likely at age 100+ (and Daddy's name was Tony Randall.) My grandfather, an honest to goodness son of a Union veteran, died in 1972 at the age of 84. Those guys in the picture look way younger now than he did, then!

I've heard Southerners live longer than lots of other folks, but this is amazing. Must be the food! It certainly looks good... ;)

Rick C
Ancestry must be proven. As the sons of the Confederate veterans started dying off, their sons were allowed to join, right on down the line.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
My paternal grandmother's grandfather served.... but that might be a stretch....

Not really. That qualifies, as long as you can show the linage.

http://www.scv.org/new/link-your-camp-website/research/genealogy-assistance-2/

I joined on my great, great grandfather, a corporal in the 6th Alabama Infantry.

When I started re-enacting back in the early 1990s, I met a Real Son. He was in his 80s at the time. I also met a Real Daughter. She was also in her 80s.

Rook

Blackhawk
I had relatives on both sides. My great great grandpa on my dad's side of the family was a Union prisoner of war held at Cahaba Prison near Selma, AL. I was living in Montgomery, AL when I discovered that info written in my great grandma's bible.

I drove over to the old prison site that is a state park now and there's a welcome center there where the old city used to exist. It's a ghost town now. I told the guy working there that I thought my gggrandpa had been a prisoner there. He checked their computer for his name which was John W. Miller, 1st Tennessee Calvary, Co. E and he found it right away. He was a prison there.

I started doing some research and found out that when he was released from the prison in the spring of 1865 that he was put on a paddle wheel steamboat in Vicksburg, MS named the Sultana for the return trip back to Tennessee. Turns out that the boat blew up just outside of Memphis which is the biggest US maritime disaster to this day. More lives were lost on it than there were on the Titanic. Approx. 1,900 lives were lost that night April 27, 1865 when a faulty boiler blew up.

My gggrandpa was a tough old bird, he survived the explosion. He clung onto some wood from the boat and paddled his way to the flooded banks of the Mississippi River where he clung to a tree top until rescued the next morning by people searching for survivors from Memphis.

He was burned pretty bad and spent some time in the hospital in Memphis until they moved him to a hospital near Nashville. My great great grandma found out that he was alive and went by horse back by herself from Knoxville, to Nashville, TN to bring him back home. He was mustered out of the army in Nashville on June 10, 1865.

I sent off to Washington and got the info on his pension papers. He was drawing $12 a month back in the early 1900s until he died in 1917.

Not many people knew about the disaster because it only made back page news since Lincoln had been assassinated 12 days earlier.

I attended a memorial day celebration at the Cahaba Prison site one year in the late 90s where they had a Civil War reenactment group there doing 3 gun salutes at the graves of the soldiers that had died there. There was a pretty big group of people there but my son and I were the only relatives of any of the prisoners that were held there. It was a tearful gathering as the bugle was played and prayers were said.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultana_(steamboat)

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
I am a SCV member. I have found around 25 qualifying ancestors for me so far. It's a great historical organization. You can join as a friend of the SCV if you don't have a relative that served. The SCV magazine alone is worth the membership fee. I am also in the SAR ( Sons of the American Revolution) and the SRT ( Sons of the Republic of Texas). All are great organizations.

Rook

Blackhawk
1NA8udB.jpg