Scored some .223

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yaworski

Bearcat
I stopped at a LGS the other day and they had a "manager's special" shelf full of ammo. There was a big pile of Norinco .223. I haven't seen Norinco ammo in a long time but back in the 90s I bought a ton of it and never had problems.

Six bucks for a box of 20., A quick online search showed that I'd pay more for steel cased Wolf ammo and most of my ARs don't like steel cases.

So I bought a thousand rounds.

If you're wondering where they got Norinco, so was I. They bought a large collection from an estate including all of the ammo.

I might go back today and buy some more. Getting ready for the zombie apocalypse.

The sirens are screaming and the fires are howling
Way down in the valley tonight
There's a man in the shadows with a gun in his eye
And a blade shining, oh, so bright
There's evil in the air and there's thunder in the sky
And a killer's on the bloodshot streets
Oh, and down in the tunnel where the deadly are rising
Oh, I swear I saw a young boy down in the gutter
He was starting to foam in the heat

Snake45

Hawkeye
That's not a bad price at all. I remember paying $4/20 at Walmart for US "white box" over a decade ago.

And Yaworski, anybody who quotes Meat Loaf lyrics is okay with me. (The lyrics are actually by Jim Steinman, but you know what I mean.) ;)

Desperation, desperation's in the air
It leaves a stain on all your clothes
And no detergent gets it out...

nekvermont

Buckeye
That's a good price these days. Just 3 years ago I was getting Wolf Gold (Brass Cased) for $289.50 / thousand. Oh, and Blazer Brass 9mm was $189.80 / thousand. Amazing how much 3 years and one administration can change things.

... I haven't seen Norinco ammo in a long time but back in the 90s I bought a ton of it and never had problems...

I shot a bunch of it back then, also, in a couple of Mini-14s I used to own! On one trip out to the national forest, I somehow noticed (out of the corner of my eye) that something wasn't right, with an empty casing being ejected from the rifle. I put the safety on, and started looking at the empties on the ground.

I found one spent case that had started to separate, part way between the case head and the shoulder, and had bent into kind of a "dog leg" shape as it was extracted/ejected. No damage to the rifle, and I think that was the only problem I ever had with Chinese brass-cased ammo.

As always, FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.
:)