Scored a rare 'CHP' GA-86T box!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Terry T

Buckeye
I just scored a rare GA-86T box. It is estimated that less than 500 were made up in failed bid to take the California Highway Patrol (CHP) revolver contract away from S&W.

I have one of the Rugers (top) along with the CHP 50 year S&W model 19 (bottom) and a CHP service issued S&W model 68, all from the same era.

You will notice how similar the S&W model 68 and the GA-86T are.

Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
Thanks for the kind words, folks.
I normally don't make a big deal of box hunting but just sort of keep my eyes open for the odd ones that match guns that I already have that didn't arrive with their boxes.
The internet does bring the world's flea market into one's living room!

I do put some value on having the correct box to go with a particular piece. I guess it dates back to the late '50s when, as a Jr. High student, I saw a Colt revolving percussion shotgun in a local gun store with it's original box and the shop wanted more for the (then 100 year old) box than it did for the gun! :shock:
I made a vow to myself then and there that I would preserve the boxes for any guns that I should buy. The next year I bought my first Ruger, a (letter) BearCat, and, yes, I still have the box (and gun)! :D

My son is a CHP motorcycle officer, hence my interest in things CHP.
Terry T