Scope help with 77 RSI Tang Safety

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OldHickory

Bearcat
I have an older tang safety model 77 RSI in .308. It currently wears a Burris 2-7 compact scope that I want to replace. The rings on the rifle do not appear to be Ruger rings, as they attach with allen or torx screws, and the rear ring is offset toward the chamber of the rifle.

I would like to attach a small, lightweight scope, like a Weaver V3 or Leupold FX11 2.5. Are these small scopes able to be mounted with regular Ruger rings? Also, any recommendations for a small scope that will be used for deep woods, swamp and low light situations. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Nice rifle - and welcome to the forum. Those scopes should mount just fine with the standard Ruger rings. For info, Ruger does make an offset ring which may be what you have on your rifle (a pic on a No. 1 rifle in this thread:)

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=80543

The scopes you mention seem like good choices - I don't have better recommendations.

Tnhunter

Bearcat
My M77 RSI in .308 wears a Leupold Ultralight 2-7x28. It has in the past worn a Leupold in 1-4x20 as well. Depending on how much $$ you're wanting to spend and your specific mention of low light performance, I'd suggest a couple that I've found work well. The VX1 SG 1-4x20 with Heavy Duplex is very good in low light. In my comparisons, the HD reticle improves the low light capabilities enough that I pick it over a VX2 with regular duplex reticle. I own and like the Weaver V3 (1-3x20) but it's low light performance is not near as good as the HD Leupold (at least to my eyes)

The Nikon Monarch3 1-4x20 with #4 reticle is also very good (formerly known as Nikon African series 1"). I have this scope on my Remington M750 Carbine in .35 Whelen. But the best scopes I have for low light among the several dozen I now own are my two Leupold VX-Rs. One has a Firedot Duplex (2-7 on my BLR/.325) and the other a Firedot #4 (1.25-4 on a double rifle in 9.3x74R). These scopes are the bomb when it comes to low light performance IMHO. The VX-Rs will require 30mm rings.

OldHickory

Bearcat
Thank you for the replies so far.

TN, interesting about the V3. The SG VX you mentioned, is that a 50 yard parallex scope? I like the heavy duty reticle, how is that at 100-150 yards on a target?

I'm trying to stay as low cost as possible, but you have given me some great, real life examples. I better look at some!

Tnhunter

Bearcat
I believe Leupold SG scopes have parallax set at 75 yards. I own a bunch of them in 1-4x20 and 2-7x33 and just mounted a 2-7x33 with Heavy Duplex reticle on a new Winchester M70 in .270. The reticle does not bother me at the 100 yard range (long as you have at least a 2" bull) and I shot a best group of a measured 3/8" with the scope set on 7X.

OldHickory

Bearcat
Thank you. I'm guessing that 200 yards will be the longest shot I would use that rifle for. More concerned about using it in the woods/swamps at the very first light of day, and the very end light of the day.

On all of the scopes are you using standard Ruger rings, low and medium?

Tnhunter

Bearcat
I've always used standard (medium?) Ruger rings on all my Ruger rifles (#1s & M77s). The mediums would be higher than needed for a 1-4x20 scope, however. If you get new rings, you might want to look at low Warnes made for Ruger M77. I've used them on a similar no-base system for CZ 550 and they are great rings.

Good Luck!

Tnhunter

Bearcat
I've not used the Warnes with a Ruger 77. If the medium is the lowest, I'd opt for a Ruger Low set.

RSI

Bearcat
I agree with the reply above about the heavy duplex recticle adding hunting time both early and late in the day. Currently my RSI .308 wears a Leupold VX-III 1.75 x 6 w/HD which is a brighter scope than the 2.5 x 8 of the same vintage (2007) but is not as bright as my VX3 2.5 x 8 (2013) model. The 1.75 x 6 is available w/HD from the factory but the 2.5 x 8 is not unless you go through the custom shop. I have done this on both the 2007 and 2013 2.5 x 8 scopes resulting is much better low light performance. No more recticle fade out early and late. If you can see the deer in the scope you can see the recticle. As far as the Ruger rings go the medium set is as low as you can go. On your gun that would be a low ring in front and medium ring in the rear. These are sold this way as a set but if you find individual rings buy a #3 ring for the front and #4 for the rear. If you go with the Warne medium rings (which are staggered height just like the Ruger rings) your scope will be about .065" higher.

I hope this helps

RSI

OldHickory

Bearcat
RSI, thanks for the response. I don't think I can swing for the VX3!
Looking hard at the VX1 "Shotgun" 1-4x20 with the heavy duplex. Worried that the 75 yard parallex could be a problem.... I doubt I would ever shoot over 200 yards, but you never know. I like your description of seeing reticle if you can see the deer. That is huge in the woods and swamps. I'm hoping that the #3 and #4 Ruger rings will be low enough for a good cheek weld/sight picture with the RSI.

Quick question for you and TN, what loads seem to be most accurate in your guns? Thanks.

Clark

Bearcat
I've often looked at the offerings for those low power scopes as I hunt similar conditions to OldHickory but with a #1 RSI.

My conclusion is that the offerings are so few and the ranges I shoot so short (I've got one deer stand that I could squeeze a 100 yard shot out of) that parallax is my last concern. Having a scope with low enough magnification and good glass so I can see during twilight hours are the most important items on the list. The Leupold SG is on my short list, just need another RSI to put it on!

Clark

RSI

Bearcat
My .308 is not a tack driver with 100 yd groups running 1-3/4" or so with all of the factory loads I've tried. I have not tried to improve on that because it's plenty accurate for where I hunt. The factory load that is most consistent is Winchester 150 gr ballistic silvertips with Federal Fusion 150 gr close behind. Since MV from either load will most likely be 150-200fps slower than published velocity of 2820 so full broadside penetration should not be problem along good expansion.

RSI

OldHickory

Bearcat
I've never tried 150's in mine. I should try them. They will probably will kick less than the 180's and 165's I have used. Recently tried the Remington low recoil rounds for my daughter. They were fairly accurate, but I want more power.

OldHickory

Bearcat
Stump,
That rifle is sweet. All nasty the 358 win is... all nasty. I have a Hawkeye stainless. Only problem is ammo. $60 per box when I can find it.

Is that a 4x on there? Thanks.

Tnhunter

Bearcat
I also thought recoil was rather stout (for a .308) shooting 180gr Grand Slams out of my RSI. I've now switched to 150gr Federal loads in mine. I do have to admit, my RSI gets little to no use now that I have M77s in .338 Fed, .358 Win and .35 Whelen. I do like those mediums!