Scope for Ruger All Weather Compact

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
So I'm thinking of having my LGS order me a Ruger All Weather Compact LH in 7mm-08 or .243, as a crappy weather gun for those days when I'm really not thrilled with taking my No. 1 out for 10 hours in the rain.

But I've quickly realized that there aren't as many scopes to my liking in silver finish. And I can't abide a blued scope on a stainless rifle. Tough enough without blued steel and walnut; but we do what we must.

Ideally, I'd get something along the lines of a compact 1-4x or 2-6x, but haven't found any in a quick search. What has come up is the Nikon ProStaff 3 -9. Not that I'll need anything over 5x, but so what? The only thing is it isn't exactly a small scope, and might be a bit "much" for the little Ruger. Then again, I'd rather have more/better glass than I need then not enough.

Any thoughts on the ProStaff scopes? Or any suggestions on a low-range compact variable conventionally mounted scope with a silver finish for say < $300? I have a Redfield Revolution 2-7x on my No. 1. I think these were made by Leupold. I'm happy with it. So if the ProStaff is of comparable quality, I think I'd be OK.

jjas

Single-Sixer
I own 5 of them and have zero complaints...

As far as blued/black scopes on a stainless rifle goes....The rifle has blued/black mounts and a black stock. I think a black scope looks good on a stainless rifle with a black stock like the all weather.

But, that's just my opinion. Your rifle, your rules....

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
I never liked the idea of a blue scope on a stainless gun either until my dad did it. Looked pretty nice. I went ahead and followed suit, stainless gun, stainless rings and blue scope. Looks pretty tough I think.

Of the rifles I own, 2 are SS and have blued scopes and blued rings. I think that look is just fine. But, function comes first on all my gun requirements, looks cool or not I could care less.

j p sixguns welldone

Single-Sixer
I wouldn't put a black scope gloss or matte on a stainless rifle. I like the 4x burris compact they made in silver or what burris calls nickel. too bad there not made any longer, ebay has them from time to time. good luck stay with silver don't go with cheesie black scope. :lol:

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
pruger45 said:
Have you ever looked through a Redfield Revolution? Priced at around $200.00 and made by Leopold now!

Yup. I have one my No. 1 is 6.5 x 55.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
jjas said:

As far as blued/black scopes on a stainless rifle goes....The rifle has blued/black mounts and a black stock. I think a black scope looks good on a stainless rifle with a black stock like the all weather.

A stainless action and barrel, with blued/black mounts & rings???
In that case, I guess I'd have to go with black. Makes it a lot easier.

Ok, now who can recommend a good blue/black compact variable or fixed 3x (this is a woods rifle-pretty much every shot is <100 yards? I particularly like reticles with either a post and crosswire, or a post and heavy crosswires, and just a fine upper wire. Whatever. German #4 or similar, I think. But a plain old duplex is fine, if that's what's available. Same deal, I can spend about $250-$300.

Thanks, guys.

700xcr

Bearcat
WebleyMan said:
jjas said:

Ok, now who can recommend a good blue/black compact variable or fixed 3x (this is a woods rifle-pretty much every shot is <100 yards? I particularly like reticles with either a post and crosswire, or a post and heavy crosswires, and just a fine upper wire. Whatever. German #4 or similar, I think. But a plain old duplex is fine, if that's what's available. Same deal, I can spend about $250-$300.

Thanks, guys.
Save up another $100.00 and get one of these in heavy duplex.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362198627/leupold-vx-3i-rifle-scope-15-5x-20mm-matte

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
700xcr said:
WebleyMan said:
jjas said:

Thanks, guys.
Save up another $100.00 and get one of these in heavy duplex.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362198627/leupold-vx-3i-rifle-scope-15-5x-20mm-matte

That does look to be the ticket, doesn't it?