scope for 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

m657

Buckeye
yes, another opportunity to share your experience!!!

Application:
ultralite 10/22 build w/short carbon fiber barrel
seeking short/light target quality glass optic

out of the running
anything TOO spendy
anything TOO bulky
anything TOO imprecise

1) the 6/24x44 AO target scope I already have...yes it's fine for what it is...fine on such as a heavy barrel T22; see #2 above;

2) while Red Dots (TSR25, fast fire II etc) are great for the rapid close in steel challenge game, they lack the precision focus at 100yr+ I'm seeking; #3 above

3) face it, this is 'Econo 101' class. I've just watched the guy do 100 AND 200 yard scoped 10/22 on steel. He didn't post was his scope was, and it seemed a bit longish as well.

The Nikon P223 3x32 is nearly the right size but 3x is too limited for my purpose.

The 8" OAL is great though.

Please post your ideas.

9x19

Hunter
"too spendy" can mean lots of things depending on disposable income... care to narrow it down to a price range?

Do you have a magnification range in mind... are you shooting from a solid reset or off-hand?

m657

Buckeye
this would be for at least semi-solid rest 'target like' conditions

I know much about 3x is hard for me to hold steady offhand.

I'm going for the mote in the eye of the beastie at 100+ yards. I know on other rifles I can make a much smaller group at 24x than at 6x even from the bench....using same rifle/ammo

'spendy' yes depends on considerable factors....
I'm thinking under $200 should find something that will serve perfectly

Although Swarovsky & Zeiss & Leica seem to have abandoned that end of the market....

Ruger45

Blackhawk
m657 said:
Although Swarovsky & Zeiss & Leica seem to have abandoned that end of the market....
I can't say as I blame them for the amount of work that goes into building a quality scope 200 just don't seem like much room to make any money.

m657

Buckeye
....b...bu....butbutbut....these are genuine FRNs fresh off the press......!!!
...although given their 'business model theory of goods offered' I can see why they sell for such high prices.....

after decades of buying 'what I could afford' and being ever-seeking an upgrade, finally about 20 years ago I bought a couple of really upscale optics......

the satisfaction of those choices remain after much heavy use over the years....

though I haven't had to purchase another replacement of either, so their profit was 'once'-and I'm not griping.

In this case, I'm actually seeking something "that is good enough" without being the supreme-o available.

Leopold and Burris and Nikon/etc all have fine choices but too bulky/too expensive/too long for my purpose.

wunbe

Buckeye
Weaver 2x7 rimfire scopes do the job for me on all my Ruger 22 LRs but then I am not looking for one hole precision.

wunbe

Bearcat

Blackhawk
I like the Nikons for value and performance.

Best for your application might be one of the old Leupold rimfire 4X....Great, compact scope.

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Doesn't make a lot of sense to spend all that money on a building a light gun then put on a heavy scope.
Just bought my second Weaver 2x7x28. They also make a 2x7x32. I'm putting this one on a Mannlicher 10 22.

You in a follow up said shooting from a rest and so a little big really should not be an issue. I'd go with at least a Nikon 3-9 power and around 50mm front. Even though a 10/22 doesn't really need it, you do get what you pay for in scopes. There is a difference in glass... if there wasn't there would not still be $2,000 binoculars out there. And even cheap digital Nikon coolpix cameras take better pictures than a lot of other brands.

m657

Buckeye
I'm so pleased with the nimble handling, with Hogue stock the entire thing was spec-built for weight class in some esoteric 'bench rest' niche. My buddy designed/built a special 4x6? carbon bench plate that has 2 mounting pins to screw into the stock should I want to buckle it down a bit more solidly for precision work. As it is I'm still using it in such as Steel Challenge. It really doesn't seem to weigh anything at all, carbon barrel helps. Volq/Kidd guts to it. I can't find any of the fancy high test ammo, so the run-of-the-mill regular stuff is doing very nicely anyway.

I have a marvelous old hammer barrel T22 that my long scope fits just fine.

It's amazing how anvil-heavy the T22 seems now.

Some day soon I'm doing a side-by-side target/ammo comparison.

I hope I'm not too late with input. But I purchased a BSA sweet 22 3-9 AO recently for my 10/22 anniv model. I liked it so much, I ordered another one for my 10/22 take down. holds zero just fine, not to big and the best part, it was 49.95. Now how can you beat that?

Major T

Blackhawk
My favorite accurate .22 scope is also the Leupold 3-9 AO Ultralight. They are not $50 scopes, but in have three ..22 rifles that deserve a good one. I bought a cheap 3-9 AO scope a while back. It is in a drawer. Wasted money.

Jack

PS, it is also spring air gun proof.

Tuco Tom

Single-Sixer
How about the Redfield Revolution line of scopes......or
a used Leupold off ebay......