Scope for 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Uncleman

Bearcat
I received a 10/22 carbine as a Christmas gift this past year. I've never had a 22 and immediately liked this little carbine - a lot!!
My eyes are not great so I put an inexpensive scope on it. Won't mention the brand as I think it was probably worth what I paid ($39 at a big box store). But, compared to the scopes I have on my other rifles it is pretty lame and I think this little jewel deserves better. So, I'm looking to the forum for ideas on improving this setup. I'm thinking of a budget of around $100. This firearm will be used exclusively at the range and I'd like to get something light and well balanced to the 10 /22. I rarely shoot over 150 yards.

Thanks in advance!

9x19

Hunter
I can think of two... Nikon Prostaff 3x-9x for just over $100, and Bushnell Banner 3.5x-10x at just under $100.

Both are rimfire scopes and offer a bullet drop compensating feature.

sandman228

Single-Sixer
Nikon prostaff , im not sure what they go for in your area ,there roughly 150 . I learned my lesson on cheap scopes a few years back when I was in the woods in the rain 1st day of deer season .after a few hours the rain stopped the deer started moving i had 1 come out about 75 yrds from me and stand there I pulled up to take the shot ,couldn't see a damn thing, all fogged up . I wont mention the name brand of the scope but lets just say its the same as the last name of the former kinda weird exercise guru Richard _ _ _ _ _ _ _ . it was the scope on the rifle when I bought it and I swore off el cheapo scopes after that.

leon670

Bearcat
Pick up a nice used Leupold fixed power 4x on ebay. Lightweight, durable, Should be not much more than your budget. It would be suitable for use on your big game rifles, will hold it's value and is still backed by Leupold's ironclad warrantee.

what would you say

Single-Sixer
I'm just coming into age myself where the eagle in my eagle eyes is getting a might weary. I'm realizing budgetary constraints these days like many are.. But the nicer the scope, the happier you'll be. The Nikon, Bushnell do all make some really nice scopes for the cash. I have or had one of about everything. Since Uncleman mentioned .22 and 150 yards-- I'd put every dollar you could do into a Leupold or other higher end scope with some good magnification. One reason the posters mention those particular scopes is that they can perform well and keep up with the guns accuracy at the typical 50-75 yes for a .22 caliber. Nice scopes. Out at that longer yardage, you"ll be shaking my hand for recommending on a nicer scope in the several hundred or more price range. It would seem that the gun accuracy wouldn't keep up with the scope, but your gonna need it when your eyes and long yardage is in play.

I use Sightron 2.5x32 on a pair of 10/22 rifles. They work fine for plinking and hunting at 22 ranges plus they're clear and bright for those "up close and personal" varmint in the yard encounters.
If my uses leaned more toward precision, I'd likely go a little higher in XX's.

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
I really like the weaver rimfire scopes. The scope should match the shooting activity. Plinking and hunting IMO begs for a 4x on a 10-22. 2-7 is great for a mix including some targets out to 75 yards or so. I have had better luck with rimfire specific scopes. Get an AO scope if you want to do target shooting and ammo evaluation. Ammo? What ammo? Still can't find any!

Ruger45

Blackhawk
I am going with a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm on my 10/22 http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-1-riflescopes/vx-1-3-9x40mm-includes-shotgunmuzzleloader/ and was thinking about the VX-2 for my target 10/22 but may stick with the VX-1 after looking through it I will be able to tell better after some range time.