Scope and Site Magnification? Please help!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
I've always used iron sights and now I want to get a small scope that's not too powerful or a red dot site or a holographic site. I want some magnification but not very much as I don't shoot at great distances...nor do I care to. :)

Can someone please tell me what a holographic site is, if they are any good and would one fit on a Mini 14 or a M1A?

Also, please recommend a red dot or holographic site with some magnification that would fit my Mini and/or M1A.

THANKS for any help or advice! I'm far from an expert and you guys help me a ton.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
most dot sights and holo sight are 1x + no magnafactaion .You can get a 3x magnafier but there around 300 bucks .Dot sights run from $35.00 up to over $500.00 depending on what you want A dot sight is just that ,it superimposes a dot in your feild of view .After you zero the sight ,you just put the dot on the target and shoot .There VERY fast to aquire your target with and because there 1x they have unlimited eye releife .The dots range in size from 2 M.O.A up to 10 .M.O.A depending on what you want .Some have diffrent rectailes ,the new bushnell has 4 a 2 mil dot ,a crosshair , a crosshair with a 2mil dot in the middle and a 10 mil circle w/ a 2 mil dot in the center. They will fit just about anything you can mount a scope on .A holo sight has a circle /dot setup like the Bushnell
Heres some pics of my guns with these type of sites on them .Hope this helps ,If you have anymore questions feel free to P.M. me ,
Lou

S&W M&P 15-T w/ an Aimpoint Comp2 4 M.O.A. dot /w a 30 MM tube
LousPics147.jpg

Arsenal SAM-7 SF[Americian made A.K.-47] ..w Tasco Pro Point w/ a 5 M.O.A. dot with 11 brightness settings w/ a 30 MM tube
LousPics275.jpg

Mossberg M-500 w/ a Tasco 44 MM sight w/ a 5 M.O.A. dot w/ 7 brightness settings in red or green
LousPics074.jpg

$" .44Mag Colt Anaconda w/ a Tasco propoint w/ same features as the one on the A.K.
LousPics038.jpg

And last , a look through the aimpoint
LousPics030.jpg

And I have a Pro point for my M1A when I don't have my sniper scope on it .