Science Fiction movies and TV shows

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
One of my favorite authors is Arthur C. Clarke. The guy was a genius, and wrote "2001" and "2010". I just wish that someone would do a movie based on his book "Rendezvous With Rama". As for movies, see "Them!" with James Arness before he became Matt Dillon. When was a kid and seeing it with my parents and sister at the theater, we had to walk out because it was so disturbing.
Azimov was also one of the best. His Foundation series of novels would make a good mini-series.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
People keep pushing AI. They should watch The Forbin Project. It might change their minds.

There's far too much money & power to be had for the taking. The tech kings and politicians are not going to surrender that to the little people - not even if it ultimately results in the collapse of modern civilization.

tinman

Buckeye
Firefly is by my best description, a space western. It was a (sadly) short lived series. The follow up movie (that we Browncoats lobbied for and finally wore them down) .. is called Serenity.
I NOT watch Serenity until you watch all depisodes of the series.

Gopher

Single-Sixer
Firefly is by my best description, a space western. It was a (sadly) short lived series. The follow up movie (that we Browncoats lobbied for and finally wore them down) .. is called Serenity.
I NOT watch Serenity until you watch all depisodes of the series.
Also, make sure you see them in order. Fox showed them out of sequence so it didn't make much sense if you come in during the middle of the season.

Johnnu2

Hunter
My wife is an alien...... we're desperately searching for her crashed spaceship. We're hoping to find two things:
1) behavioral documentation
2) her recipe box
There is a substantial reward for information leading to its retrieval.
J.

rwp315

Single-Sixer
Rule of thumb: you generally get one good sequel and then the franchise falls apart IMO. And that was even before Hollywood started remaking and rebooting franchises with a nihilistic eye toward discrediting everything that made them great, and deliberately humiliating the fanbase in the process.

(*koff* Star Wars *koff*)

So, with that in mind:

Alien and Aliens. You can forget about the whole rest of that franchise.

The Terminator and T2: Judgement Day. Again, you can forget about the whole rest of that franchise.

Firefly (TV series) and the Serenity movie. Yes, I'm a proud Browncoat.

Babylon 5. One of the best TV sci-fi series ever, from beginning to end.

Original Star Trek plus STII: The Wrath of Khan. I've come to dislike most of the other Star Trek films and ST:NG (although Voyager and Deep Space Nine weren't bad), and flat-out loathe the JJ Abrams reboots.

The original three Star Wars films are a cherished part of my childhood. I'd add the Rogue One prequel and Timothy Zahn's Thrawn novels (particularly the original Thrawn trilogy that opened with Heir to the Empire; in which Zahn did a great job of capturing the magic of the original trilogy). With the rest . . . well, George Lucas lost the plot with the prequel trilogy; then Disney systematically murdered the franchise, abused its corpse and mocked the fans with woke BS.

Classic The X-Files.

The classic 80s show "V." Somebody mentioned "To Serve Man" back up the thread? Well, that was pretty much the series. And Jane Badler was campily, evilly awesome as the head lizard.

The Charlton Heston classics Soylent Green and The Omega Man. Heston at his scenery-chewing best.

The original Predator (and Predator II wasn't bad).

The Doctor Who spinoff Torchwood, which was Doctor Who for adults with far more complex and intriguing plotlines and relationships. (I never was able to get into Doctor Who, even before they woke-i-fied it.)

The original Robocop.

Event Horizon. Great blend of horror and sci-fi.

And while I'd love to see a remake of Starship Troopers that was faithful to the original novel and took its themes and concepts seriously (and gave us the powered armor!) . . . the film version is still hilarious. I mean, how can you not laugh at Feldmarshal Doogie Howser?
X Files, I think Season 10, Episode 6. Plandemic!

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I've always been a fan of science fiction, ever since I was about 10. Then it was more about rockets into space, and now it is more about whether or not we are really alone in the universe. I find that good authors are able to come up with very interesting beginnings for these stories. They all seem to say that there really is something out there, but since it is all fiction the movies and TV shows never come up with a plausible ending. Maybe one of the best was the movie "Contact" written by astronomer Carl Sagan, but even that had a less than satisfying ending.

Thinking about this I have come to the conclusion that part of me is actually hoping that whatever show or movie I am watching will actually tell me something about these big questions. While watching I suspend my sense of disbelief and let myself be caught up in the premise and the story, only always to be disappointingly left unsatisfied at the end.

Maybe that's why silly "Space westerns" like the whole "Star Wars" series, or even "Star Trek" can be enjoyed because they never really even raise the deep questions that good science fiction tries to grapple with. Just some Sunday morning musing.
I would like to see the next Terminator movie where Arnold is sent back in time to 1885 after John Conner makes a mistake and pushes the wrong button. The Terminator walks into a saloon and tells Johnny Ringo ( I want your chaps, your vest and the saddle for your horse. )

CHEVYINLINE6.

Last edited:
My wife is an alien...... we're desperately searching for her crashed spaceship. We're hoping to find two things:
1) behavioral documentation
2) her recipe box
There is a substantial reward for information leading to its retrieval.
J.
Ask your wife if she can read this. If she can, she is a Kanamit. Time to get out!

1716847852075.png

Maybe one of the best was the movie "Contact" written by astronomer Carl Sagan, but even that had a less than satisfying ending.

Maybe that's why silly "Space westerns" like the whole "Star Wars" series, or even "Star Trek" can be enjoyed because they never really even raise the deep questions that good science fiction tries to grapple with. Just some Sunday morning musing.
Carl Sagan was famously an atheist. Late in his life, possibly while dealing with the cancer that killed him, he wrote the book "Contact." I doubt reading the book would leave you feeling like you did with the movie. A favorite read of mine. The movie was good, except entirely missing the point of the book.

Fortunately for me I read the book first and being a long time fan of Sagan shed a tear with the words "For Carl" when displayed on the big screen. The movie ending felt disrespectful of the message in the book. Maybe I am being over respectful of Sagan.

"Space Westerns?" The Firefly series and then movie that came after damn near define the concept of space western. Watch the series before the movie if interested.

Paul

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
There are two seasons of Foundation on AppleTV+!

When I was young, back before TV was common, an apple was a fruit you picked from a tree and ate on the spot, or made pies and other desserts with. I read the Foundation Trilogy in the mid-50's shortly after they were published, along with most everything else he wrote during those early years. :)

One of my favorite authors is Arthur C. Clarke. The guy was a genius, and wrote "2001" and "2010". I just wish that someone would do a movie based on his book "Rendezvous With Rama". As for movies, see "Them!" with James Arness before he became Matt Dillon. When was a kid and seeing it with my parents and sister at the theater, we had to walk out because it was so disturbing.
I remember a movie about crab monsters. There was a scene where a guy fell overboard and the dragged him up without a head. I was about 10.

Latest posts