Sad Day for My GP-100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
I bought a Ruger GP-100 in 1986 just after they came out. Today after 26 years I noticed a small crack in the forcing cone at 6:00. Sent a note off to Ruger Customer Service to see if they still support the original run of GP-100's. Will let you know how things go.

Cheers,
W-W

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I'd like to see a picture of the crack if you can get one posted..
Almost sounds like the ones seen on K frame Smiths as they are thin in that area because there cut flat at the bottom of the cone..
I would hope Ruger will replace the barrel for you with one of the newer ones without the "Warning Banner" but retain everything else as really I wouldn't want to give up my 26 year old revolver for a new one with MIM parts..
If you've ever put any springs etc in the revolver they will be replaced with factory parts..
Good Luck!!
I'd like to here how this turns out for you..
I've never had to return a gun to Ruger before..

10X

Bearcat
The smith K-frames should have never been rated as a .357 mag....I have a 65-5 that I carry ...I use the .357 speer gold dot short barrel loads....really not much more than a .38 +p.....As to your Ruger....26yrs...One must consider the round count and what load was used the 125 gr .357 mags is hot stuff....the gp is a tank....but it is a piece of mechanical parts....it can and will fail at some point ..if Ruger doesnt give you what you want...Clemins customs should be able to fix you up as good as new....I have a 6'' GP that I use just for target work (Bullseye ) with 148gr LHBWC and 2.7 gr of WST....that gun will last many..many 1000's of rds like that......357mag's are hard on guns even the Rugers...it is a high pressure cartridge and I would stick with 158's as opposed to the lighter stuff as the 158's are still supported by the cylinder throat as they hit the forcing cone.....In my 65-5 smith I use handload .38's for practice 158gr LSWC's and carry the 135gr speer's ....In my opion 158 gr is the only weight for the .357 if you plan on a steady diet of them...the lighter bullets are shorter and have to jump a gap unsupported....which can be hard on a forcing cone.....But all things being considered..26yrs of use is good ...if youve been shooting .357 mag that long your forcing cone should have had some wear and maybe a new barrel was in order to restore accuracy.....anyways....Ruger or Clemins should fix you up ...and you'll be shoting your old freind again soon.....Dont feel to bad...I just rebarreled a .45 ....they do wear out....when you play at some point you have to pay.....

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
I lost count of how many rounds have going through this revolver, it has digested 1000's of Remington 125gr JHPs and still holds them at 2-3" at 15 yards, the max length of the local indoor range. Other than the forcing cone the gun is in excellent shape, I hope to have it re-barreled, on my own dime if necessary.

Cheers,
W-W

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
Sorry to hear 'bout your problem with your GP100, hope Ruger takes care of you. They took care of my GP100 when it had issues, be sure to let us know...

wild_weasel said:
I lost count of how many rounds have going through this revolver, it has digested 1000's of Remington 125gr JHPs and still holds them at 2-3" at 15 yards, the max length of the local indoor range. Other than the forcing cone the gun is in excellent shape, I hope to have it re-barreled, on my own dime if necessary.

Cheers,
W-W

I seriously doubt that Ruger will charge you for a replacement barrel. When I sent my Redhawk in because of a timing issue (I wore out the pawl, star and trigger), they replaced my barrel was replaced due to "excessive" wear on the forcing cone. I didn't even mention (or know) that it had a problem. On top of all of that, they refinished the stainless so that it all matched too.

There was no charge to me at all for all that work.

10X

Bearcat
wild_weasel said:

Cheers,
W-W

2-3 '' at 15yds....In my opion it should do better than that ..2-3'' at 50yds would be still alittle large but not bad .....My GP will do 1'' @ 25yds for 5 shots....it is very possible that your forceing cone has seen better days....send it to ruger I would bet they replace the barrel and do a evaluation of the whole gun....The better Gun manufactors like Ruger , Springfield Armory have always treated me right on anything Ive had a issue with......Know just dont ask me about Kimber....I cant even dream up enought cuse words to desribe my feelings on them :twisted:

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Sorry about your GP100. The GP100 is about the strongest mid frame revolver going. But shooting the 125 gr "flame thrower" will pound any revolver to death and will erode the forcing cone on the inner edges and cause the crack at 6 oclock.
Here is a picture of a GP100 with a cracked forcing cone. The fella with threw 100 rounds a week for a year. The result a cracked forcing cone. Ruger replaced the barrel. Stay with the heavy grain rounds and I doubt that this will happen again.
Good luck,
Howard
crackedforcingconeGP100.jpg

This is what he was using as a load. Factory 125 gr won't be as hard but still will pound the revolver.
125 grain Hornady XTP over 22 gr. of H110 with a Remington 5 1/2 primer.

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
Roaddog28,

This is exactly what I see on my GP100.

Thanks,
W-W

roaddog28 said:
Sorry about your GP100. The GP100 is about the strongest mid frame revolver going. But shooting the 125 gr "flame thrower" will pound any revolver to death and will erode the forcing cone on the inner edges and cause the crack at 6 oclock.
Here is a picture of a GP100 with a cracked forcing cone. The fella with threw 100 rounds a week for a year. The result a cracked forcing cone. Ruger replaced the barrel. Stay with the heavy grain rounds and I doubt that this will happen again.
Good luck,
Howard
crackedforcingconeGP100.jpg

This is what he was using as a load. Factory 125 gr won't be as hard but still will pound the revolver.
125 grain Hornady XTP over 22 gr. of H110 with a Remington 5 1/2 primer.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
roaddog28 said:
HOLY CRAP!!!

I've thrown over 2,000 rounds down the tube of my Super Redhawk with the vast majority of them being H110 and 2400 loads with a 240 to 255g slug. I have noticeable erosion but NOTHING like that! Heck, I've even shot some 180g flamethrowers with both 31g H110 and 31g Lil'Gu an it never eroded like that. I've used Lil'Gun with 240g and up bullets in my SRH and it did not eat the forcing cone.

The worst condition I see with my forcing cone is what is in that photo at the 10 o'clock to 11 o'clock position.

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
Called Ruger Customer Service and got an RMA to return my GP-100 to the New Hampshire facility. The killer was paying $83 and change for overnight air from California. So, I should be hearing in a week or two what the way forward is.

Cheers,
W-W

flyguy958 said:
Let your LGS ship to them, they can us USPS and the cost is less than $15.00. Your LGS may charge for this but it is still cheaper.
X2 what I do, and it usually cost me 25 bucks for him to take care of sending it and no charge when it comes back, on handguns anywhere sent in the USA. PS USA guns are all I own!!