Ruger tube feed .22 rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grayelky

Bearcat
During a conversation the other day, a fella commented how he had a Ruger .22 LR rimfire that was tube fed. I felt I had a decent knowledge of Ruger guns. Anyone else heard of it or is he full of it?

Please help!

Stone

Bearcat
Don't know if this helps...but I recently came across an old semi-auto .22LR rifle that looked almost exactly like a 10/22, but tube-fed. I thought it was an old Mossberg, but I'm probably wrong...sorry I can't remember the brand and the place selling it no longer has it up on their used section. Maybe this is what that guy is referring to?

------------------
KP89DC
Stainless 6" Security Six (GA-36)
Mark III 22/45
10/22RR

grayelky

Bearcat
To the best of my knowledge, the 10/22 is the only semi-auto Ruger has made, and it has always been rotary magazine fed. In the mid-60's, my 2 cousins had Ruger 10/22's. This fella was not born in the 60's, nor 70's. I believe he was mistaken, but, I could be wrong.

loaded round

Hunter
If I recall correctly, didn't Marlin make a series of 22 autoloaders about 20 years ago and one of them looked like an M1 Carbine but was tube fed and the tube sticking out of the forearm about an inch or so. That might be what that other gentleman has.

Added note: Spotted one on GB and it is a Marlin 99M1 and looks identical to a 10/22 but with the tube sticking out the front as mentioned above.
------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick. TR
Life Member NRA

[This message has been edited by loaded round (edited 05-26-2007).]

grayelky

Bearcat
Yeah, Marlin did make one. When my 2 cousins got the Rugers, I got the Marlin 'cause it looked so much like an M1 carbine. Foolish me. BTW, I still have the Marlin.

COFFEE POT

Bearcat
Don't knock the Marlins. The 'El Cheapo' Marlin model 60 I have will outshoot my 10/22 with any brand of ammo and has a better trigger.

------------------
Coffee Pot

"He who knows others is wise, He who knows himself is enlightened"

grayelky

Bearcat
I guess it does read/sound like a knock on the Marlin. Not my intention. I believe the Ruger would be worth more money. Please note, I do still have my Marlin M1 .22. I must have been around 14, but I do not recall for sure. I am now 56, so I have had it a long time, and it is not leaving anytime soon.

I have a couple of other Marlins, all of which are good guns. I also have 2 or 3 more on my "want" list.

Back to the original question: Has anyone ever seen a Ruger 22 rifle with a tube feed?

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Marlin makes a great gun.

I have an old Marlin Model 70P. As long as a do my part it will put one bullet after another through almost the same hole. Doing my part is hard though as the rifle is only a little over 3lbs. It is also alot less picky with ammunition. It usually only requires little tweeks in the sight when shifting from one brand of ammo to another.

If a person was looking for a 22 rifle to use as a kit gun, you could not go wrong with the Papoose. Light, Accurate, Reliable, and fun to shoot.

The only complaint I have about Marlins is with the detachable magazines. I wish they could make a double stack or something. It would be nice if the Papoose magazine was flush against the stock, as the Papoose doesnt have much forearm.

Charlie

[This message has been edited by Leucoandro (edited 05-27-2007).]

hpman66

Hunter
It was by no means a .22LR but the original .44 mag carbine was a four or five shot that fed through a tube magazine. It was was identical to the 10/22 in most respects. However, I go along with the others who believe that there was a mix up with the .22LR Marlin carbine.

grayelky

Bearcat
Yes, there was a "tube" fed .44 mag. The man I spoke with described his "Ruger" as having a tube where you pull the "thing" up and load the .22 ammo into it.

I would not mind having one of the older 44 mag carbines, preferably an International stocked variety.

chevy314

Bearcat
I have both a Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin 781 (bolt action tube feed). To sum them both up: The Marlin is more accurate then my Ruger but the Ruger is more fun. BTW I got my Marlin when I was 10 so I've had it 39 years...damn I'm getting old.

ksumrall

Bearcat
I saw a 10-22-22 tonight at walmart for $229. (The one with the longer bbl) The Marlin 925R is $160 on walmart.com. I almost bought the 10-22 and still may. I'm surprised to hear that the 10-22 isn't as accurate as the Marlin which costs $60 less.

[This message has been edited by ksumrall (edited 05-29-2007).]

Krazy Okie

Bearcat
I would have to agree with Coffee Pot, I have both a Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin 6082, both have scopes and the Marlin will out do the Ruger everyday. And that is coming from a Ruger fan.

RHaerr

Bearcat
i have a friend, who claims to also have a ruger tube fed 22 offered it to me today for a 100 bux...and claims its a rare bird guess i will see soon

ranger1

Buckeye
ksumrall said:
I saw a 10-22-22 tonight at walmart for $229. (The one with the longer bbl) The Marlin 925R is $160 on walmart.com. I almost bought the 10-22 and still may. I'm surprised to hear that the 10-22 isn't as accurate as the Marlin which costs $60 less.

Cabelas has the 10/22 SS Synthetic on sale for $219.99

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
COFFEE POT,

There used to be a galute that hung out here with that handle, knew more about Ruger Semi-Auto handguns than anyone on earth.

Alas, he dissapeared a while ago, we have missed him greatly. :cry:

Welcome back COFFEE POT, we were getting worried about you. Great to see you post again. I hope all is well with you. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :D :D :D :D

Good to have you back,
DM