Ruger Standard Magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Well. I'm not sure but according to another thread below about Ruger Standard. The Mark I is the same only with adjustable sights. I would take this to mean the magazines for a Mark I and Ruger Standard are interchangeable.

I do believe the Mark I can accept Mark II magazines after a slight modification to the upper rim. Isn't that right? I think it has something to do with the bolt hold open on the last shot.

BUT Hopefully someone with the correct answer will come along and correct my mis information.

I'm a little confused by your question. The old "Standard", RST-4 or RST-6, and the Mark I models came with a metal bottom 9 round magazine not a 10 round. The current Ruger magazine available for them is a 9 round with a gray plastic bottom.

Many people have been successful using a Mark II 10 round magazine but you may have to reverse the magazine follower button depending on which frame you have.

contender

Ruger Guru
In 1949, the original Rugers were built to use a 9 round magazine. The first magazines had a slot for the follower button only on one side. The earlier gun frames are the A-54 frame. WHen the stamping die wore out & had to be replaced, they made a magazine change. It was still 9 rounds, but the magazine was slotted on both sides. The follower button was switched to the opposite side from the earlier model. The newer frame is known as the A-100 frame. You can use the double slotted mags 9 round mags in any Ruger made prior to 1982. You may have to swap sides for the follower button.
Then along came the MKII model. These 10 round mags can be used in the older semi-auto 22 guns as well. Again, you may have to switch sides for the follower button.
The 22/45 came along & it uses a different mag release, so, the mags were made differently. The MKII was replaced by the MKIII & again, we have a magazine change.
But, if you have any model of Ruger 22 semi made prior to the MKIII's, with the 22/45 exception, you can use the MKII mags in it.
Some people have modified older MKI mags to work in MKII's. But, it's just easier to buy MKII mags & get the extra round, and have to bolt hold open ability.

hittman

Staff member
My Standard auto mags have a chrome bottom. The follower is on the opposite side from the mags that fit my MKII. Standard mags hold 9, MKII mags hold 10. I believe it's printed right on the side of the gun Standard, or MKI, or MKII, etc.

yesir, that's just what you have, an "RST-6, the "W" stands for walnut grips..........yours is the LONGER barrel of the 'standard' models ,just what the letters refer to..."R..Ruger...ST... standard model", and the 4 or 6 is the barrel length...the Mark I's are 'target models, have adjustable rear sights...come in OTHER barrel length..as for the magazine to answer the 'OP' yes the magazines will work, just have to use the ones that you can "reverse" the button on the follower to the proper,correct side for the early A-54 frames or the later, A-100 frames.........first early ONE slot magz ONLY work in the early guns, the later guns they put in TWO slots so they could be reversed to use in the early guns, and the later MK II mags can have the button reversed, and use in the standards, OR the 'Mark I',and YES they hold 10 shots, you get 1 more shot, and NO they cannot, will NOT 'hold open" ( keep the bolt back) on the last final shot, you "need" the mk II GUN for that to happen........... :wink:

hittman

Staff member
Thank you Dan ..... that clears it up for me and I appreciate it very much. That looks good as a "package" you helped me with, huh?

My oh my there's lots to learn about these automatics! Looks like I need to buy another Ruger book .... the one about these automatics.

yessir get the one Chad Hiddleston wrote, "The Encyclopedia of Ruger 22 semi Autos" explains it ALL AND has some nice pictures to boot..................... :wink:

or just ask us and some of us will be MORE than happy to help you out.....
YES, that "package" looks awesome, we like it! :)

contender

Ruger Guru
I see Dan explained things a bit more before I could get back here.
As a few like to say around here,, "get the books!" :D :D
Sometimes terminology does get confusing. That's WHY many of us LOVE collecting so many different guns that Ruger has built.

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
The replacement Standard/Mark I magazines available from Ruger, whenever they have more in stock, are still 9 shot as original. However the baseplate is easily removed and the slide follower can be replaced with the Mark II follower, or modified to match the Mark II's 10 round capacity by cutting off the stud that locates the magazine spring to match the Mark II follower. It is an easy and free modification to do to the replacement Mark I magazines.

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
Pistolero said:
y2k-fxst:
Thank you for the great tip. I am hoping that replacement Standard/Mark I magazines become available from Ruger in the near future. I had the impression that they were no longer in production.
Looked on Brownel's site they still list them, just out of stock same as Mark II.

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
Pistolero said:
y2k-fxst:
Thank you for the great tip. I am hoping that replacement Standard/Mark I magazines become available from Ruger in the near future. I had the impression that they were no longer in production.
Was just on Rugers site tonight, they are still taking backorders for the Mark I magazines.

y2k-fxst said:
Pistolero said:
y2k-fxst:
Was just on Rugers site tonight, they are still taking backorders for the Mark I magazines.
I placed my order this morning. I am happy to know they are in production.
Many thanks,
Pistolero