Ruger SS with factory stags???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
All I have for now is a photo. I am hoping they are OK. I have read much here about what is or isn't factory. Any guesses? I would appreciate your thoughts. I will not have it for two weeks. Purchased from an estate sale.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Hard to say from just one not very good pic, but I don't see anything here that makes me believe they are not Factory. However, that is not saying they are Factory stags. Knowing something about the estate they come out of and what else is in it is sometimes useful info.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I am once removed from that information. There were many firearms. Buyer got two RSS's. This one was showing more use and the owner did not like the "bone" grips so it became the one to sell. It also comes with original box, owners manual and warranty card and was not safety upgraded. Screws are messed with but I have a new set here. Grip frame has some small scratches. I am so happy to have it. Estate sale was in Canada which makes me a bit more sure that they may be the real deal as aftermarket grips are hard to come by here. I can look through old posts here but are there any markings on the inside of the panels which would point the way to originality?

look good to us, and no, there are not any markings, the tell -tale is "how" they are staked (as well as installed/hole details, etc...once in a while you will see a price marking of either $6.5o or was it $8.50 in black on the inside of the panels, which tells the grips would have been bought "aftermarket" say at the gun shop and put on then....and obviously, there should only be ONE 'locating pin' hole, not two, in each grip panel, as that is a sign they were made up from a pair of Colt Single Action Army grip panels, thus the 'added' ( extra) hole...........
again, the picture looks pretty good...............

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Well, I will certainly post more here when I get my hands on them. They may have been added later as there is a set of the original plastic panels which come with it. Thanks for your assistance and opinion. Dave

there you go, this tells us they were bought 'later' or as an "extra" at the time of purchase at the shop, if the shop puts the gun out for display (sale)with something 'else',(options) they just may have kept or put on some other gun,,,,BUT remember, back then as I noted to the price marks, "parts, extras.." were fairly cheap, during that era, or time period..it was later, when no one was making them so not readily available, they became harder to get, harder to find, and now "costly", even if they are NOT "factory"........nice find, and even BETTER that you are getting the grips too.........
by the way, is that a 5 -digit number ? or 6 digit ? cause if its in the 14,xxx range , it would have been a "flatgate", and that is NOT a Premiere loading gate in the picture......inquiring minds, "need to know" :wink:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
S/N is 141,XXX. so, it is six digit. Info has it that the first owner ordered the stag grips from Ruger at the time it was purchased and just swapped them himself. I have been looking for an OM shooter RSS for some time. I will most likely sell the stags to fund the purchase but will see when I get it in my hands.

chet15

Hawkeye
From the pic, the stags look correct. But remember that all stag and ivory grip panels offered by the factory were offered as an accessory, so those grips would not have come on that gun originally anyway....a non-issue.
Chet15

Great purchase.

At some point we'd like to see pics of the back side of the grips for further speculation about their authenticity. They look good to me, but there are several folks here more knowledgable than I . . . you've already heard from some of them.

:) ;) :)

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Suggest to find a way to keep the grips..they are becoming more valuable every day and they are a beautiful addition to your SA.
C Sharps

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Well, the package arrived and we all know what that is like! I have some photos of the grips and box which I will post here. Revolver is about 90% and that is OK as that is what I wanted. Revolver looks much prettier with the stags for sure. Box is in good condition and has the proper manual and guarantee card. Looks like some faded printing on the inside of the grips. What do you guys think? David