Ruger SR9E

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
Different finish on the slide, only one mag, less machining on the slide = cheaper.

I do like the looks of it though.

roylt

Hunter
I really like the look of the serrations for racking the slide. Better than the small ones on the SR9 IMO.

Alpo

Bearcat
The SR series can be had for as little as $370, shipped to your FFL.

If the 9e actually retails for $100 less than that (i.e. $270), it will be a hit.

And it should sell for that, considering that Ruger lists SR9 mags at $45(!!!). So that's half the price difference alone.

96/44

Blackhawk
I have a couple coming in tomorrow. If it is as good as it looks, I will be tempted to keep one for myself. Street price will probably be in the $350 range.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
96/44 said:
I have a couple coming in tomorrow. If it is as good as it looks, I will be tempted to keep one for myself. Street price will probably be in the $350 range.

Gotta have the first one street price or in 6 months street price? It seems bread & butter Rugers sell for 25% off MSRP in most shops, that puts this one around $320.

This pistol without the bogus pop-up LCI and if it doesn't have a mag DC will work for those who won't remove safety features from a carry pistol. Interesting.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I think I may get one of these....work around the Ruger camp is they are moving away from CA certification because of what it takes to get on the roster. Could just be talk. However S&W does the same. They build lawyer models and real guns.

So glad to see Ruger take this step.

modrifle3

Buckeye
It would also be interesting to review the trigger group part numbers...being this gun is not even an SR by marketing name, I imagine they are really going for the glock M&P market.

Great work Ruger!!!!

PCnotPC

Bearcat
As of now they are using the SR9 parts list/diagram for the 9E with an add-on sheet for the slide, sights and striker cover. The grip frame assembly and everything in it appear to be just the same as for the SR9.

http://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/9E-aY3Tdj48Csj.pdf

http://www.ruger.com/products/9E/extras.html

modrifle3

Buckeye
That's good...I was wondering if the trigger pull would be the same. The SR has a good trigger for a striker fired weapon, not to mention one in the sub $400 range.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
So...they finally make a Glock now :D

Just kidding. Looks great. I would be wanting one, if I didn't just lose my job and wasn't starting my own business...can't spend anything on guns now. On the other hand though, before it gets imported to us (6-12 months usually), I should know whether or not my new business goes well and if I can afford it.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
modrifle3 said:
What type of business?
Don't want to get too off-topic here. Will be doing two things. One - making replicas and reconstructions of historical artifacts, both for reenactors and for museums. Two - selling survival/self-reliance gear and also making some. Might also get involved in importing gun accessories, but not sure about it yet.

96/44

Blackhawk
Leucoandro said:
I might just have to pick one of these up.

96/44,

Could you check to see if it has a magazine disconnect?

Charlie

It does have the magazine disconnect. They ship it with the SR series instruction manual, and it seems that the frame/fire control group is identical to the SR9. Trigger pull is very decent, same as any of the newer SR's. I do like the cleaner look of the slide without the LCI and extra serrations.

GKC

Blackhawk
The magazine disconnect is incredibly easy to remove on the SR series pistols. Assuming that hasn't changed on these, then that isn't a concern. If you don't want it, you can remove it in a couple of minutes...and, you can put it back in just as quickly and easily, if you ever need to send the gun in for service.

The cheapest regular price I can find locally on SR9s is $415. If the SR9e sells for $350, and I have to pay $40 or more for a 2nd magazine, that's not such a bargain over the standard SR9 pistols. If it sells closer to $300, which is about the price of S&W SD9VEs in my area, then it will be a pretty good buy because of the better trigger, compared to the SD9VE. S&W does include two magazines with the SD9VEs, though.

I do like the fact that it doesn't have the LCI. I could care less what kind of box it comes in. I actually like the look of the slide serrations better on the SR9e over the SR9, but I'd like to see how they feel. The other two things to consider in person are the sights and finish. I'll be interested to see one of these guns in the case!

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
96/44,

Thanks for checking that. Can you see any differences in the striker cover. Not sure why they list it as a different part from the other handgun.

Charlie

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Leucoandro said:
96/44,

Thanks for checking that. Can you see any differences in the striker cover. Not sure why they list it as a different part from the other handgun.

Charlie

Is it possible it's because its made out of some type of metal now? I've been asking for that for years. It would be amazing if so.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Rei40c said:
Leucoandro said:
96/44,

Charlie

Is it possible it's because its made out of some type of metal now? I've been asking for that for years. It would be amazing if so.

It would be nice if they plugged the giant hole in the back as this is a real issue for duty carry and dirt entering the striker channel. Just a bit of fine desert or beach sand would lock this thing solid. I always wondered why they and springfield put the hole there. It makes it easy to see if the weapon is cocked or not, but the draw back seems greater.