Ruger Sniper?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

600 yards w/ open iron sights is the furthest I've shot with any consistency and I do it regularly with my AR. I was in the Marine Corps and I love shooting the Qual course. I have shot the Barret at 800 yards a few times but only in training and in the military. (Wasting more rounds than being on target.)

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
Sig685":10o4kj9u said:
I believe I am the only one on this forum who can talk with authority about shooting a Ruger at 1000, or probably any rifle for that matter. Most people here are into their Mini-14s and rejoice at 3 inch group at 50 yards...

Nelson-Haha.jpg

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Wolverton":2fcw7u4g said:
600 yards w/ open iron sights is the furthest I've shot with any consistency and I do it regularly with my AR. I was in the Marine Corps and I love shooting the Qual course. I have shot the Barret at 800 yards a few times but only in training and in the military. (Wasting more rounds than being on target.)

Since you know about shooting at 600 yards with aperture sights (I seriously doubt your AR has "open sights,") you should really enjoy shooting with a nice scoped rifle. The precision that you can extract from such a setup will nicely complement your accuracy learned in the Corps (corpse, if you believe Obama.)

You may decide to shoot with a sling, or with a bipod. I have not shot Service Rifle in many years now, but I can certainly talk about shooting off a bipod. And before you run out to get a Harris POS, come and discuss it here first.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I checked into this thread with some interest, but it has quickly waned. Being experienced and good at what you do is one thing. Being pompous about it is another.

I'm just sayin'

BlkHawk73

Hunter
tomiswho":p0br58t2 said:
I checked into this thread with some interest, but it has quickly waned. Being experienced and good at what you do is one thing. Being pompous about it is another.

I'm just sayin'

+1

Sig685

Single-Sixer
BlkHawk73":20vl19xy said:
tomiswho":20vl19xy said:

I'm just sayin'

+1

+1

cas6969

Buckeye
After seeing what folks can do out past 1000 yards with black powder and iron sights, I'm fairly unimpressed with any of the work done with custom bolt guns with big scopes and wildcat rounds. ;) :p

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
wetidlerjr":3qmih9nm said:
Sig685":3qmih9nm said:
I believe I am the only one on this forum who can talk with authority about shooting a Ruger at 1000, or probably any rifle for that matter. Most people here are into their Mini-14s and rejoice at 3 inch group at 50 yards...

Nelson-Haha.jpg

Sig685":3qmih9nm said:
Which part did of the quote do you have a problem with?

:lol: Do you really need to ask ?

Sig685

Single-Sixer
cas":1w1c38vn said:
After seeing what folks can do out past 1000 yards with black powder and iron sights, I'm fairly unimpressed with any of the work done with custom bolt guns with big scopes and wildcat rounds. ;) :p

I have shot in Palma competitions, Service Rifle competitions and F-class competitions and they all have their challenges. At my age and eyesight level, F-class allows me to continue to compete and be in contention.

I never denigrate one shooting discipline at the expense of another. They all have their challenges. As far as I am concerned shooting at a target at 1000 yards is difficult, regardless of what you are using, within reason of course. Using a .308 at F-class targets is very challenging especially when you throw in some wind.

The 6.5X47 Lapua suffers from the same problems as the 6.5 Creedmoor; it is a great cartridge but you must be a handloader or you will pay dearly for each shot. Indeed if I were to build a long range rifle for F-open (not limited to .223 or .308) these two calibers would get serious considerations; I am a long time handloader and I know how to develop excellent loads for a rifle and then I can produce excellent match quality ammo for said rifle.

For a competitior, loading excellent match ammo is critical and it is a skill that is developed over time. When I really got serious about competition, I had to completely review and upgrade my handloading operation.

For somebody who just wants to dabble in shooting at long range, it quickly becomes a question of "is my ammo up to the task or is it me or the rifle?" This is where you find out that your rifle system is only as good as the weakest component. For most people here and elsewhere, that weakest component is the shooter. But as your skills improve you start wondering which aspect it really is and the last thing you want to worry about is sub-standard ammo or rifle. So you upgrade.

This is why I have a superb barrel on my match rifle and why I spend so much time, money and effort in getting the best components assembled into world class ammo. So at the end of the day, I am still the weakest link in my rifle system and so I just work harder at it and do not have to worry that my equipment is letting me down. In other words, I do not blame my tools if I have a bad performance.

I would guess this is why I have such disdain for the Mini-14 and crappy ammo.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
wetidlerjr, I admit it; I think the Mini-14 is a POS. There, I said it. Happy now?

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Silent Sam":vd4eggsi said:
Sig685":vd4eggsi said:
BlkHawk73":vd4eggsi said:
tomiswho":vd4eggsi said:

I'm just sayin'

+1

+1

... missed that target.

Clean miss 12 o'clock high.

Hadjii, "don't let the bastards get you down". I appreciate your service, and I suspect there's plenty of long range shooting going on in theater. You'll learn a helluva lot more there than is ever learned on a rifle range.

P.S. I thought the .264WinMag shot .264 (6.5mm) bullets not .277 (6.8mm) bullets.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I might be staying at a Holiday Inn soon. Does that qualify me as anything that would be worthwhile to add to this thread?

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Blkeye73, since you have already contributed above and beyond your knowledge and experience on this thread, I just don't see how anything could qualify you as worthwhile, or whatever you were trying to say.

On the other hand, I never stay an Holiday Inn, prefering to stay at Marriott or Hilton, which I do about 120 nights a year or more.

What really makes me smile about this thread is that I always get attacked for talking about the one aspect of shooting at which I excel; long range competition, with people time and again telling me that nobody at this site cares about shooting past 100 yards. But yet, when there is a thread started by someone who wants to know which Ruger product to use for shhoting at long range, all my detractors suddenly become LR experts, without ever firing beyond 100 yards. You must appreciate the irony.

There is no one here who knows even 10% of what I know, what I personaly know about shooting at long range, because I have been doing it for many years, continuously. I have sent more bullets down range at 1000 yards, in competition, than most everybody here will shoot in their lifetimes. And I continue to do that every month.

As most of you know, I am always happy to share my information with anyone who is even mildly interested and I notice that not a single participant here has written anything to contradict anything I have stated about shooting at long distance.

Why do you think that is?

Even though I will not be staying at a Holiday Inn any time soon, I think I can answer that. It's because these harpies know that I absolutely know what I am talking about when it comes to shootin, shooting at long range or handloading. They cannot argue the facts, so they argue the person. And lose, of course.

So, to the OP, if you are truly interested in 600+ yard shooting, do keep asking questions, I am happy to answer. I have no problem dealing with the rabble rousers here.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
Sig685":3dnze3rm said:
...I just don't see...I never stay...I do about...I always get...I excel...I know...I personaly know...I have been...I have sent...I continue to...I am always...I notice...I have stated...I will not...I think...I can...I absolutely know...I am talking...I am happy...I have no...

lolol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.