Ruger Single Six revolvers manufactured and sold with only cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
Thanks! I was looking in the wrong place

I found it! My Ruger blued 1975 manufactured Single Six with a 6 and 1/2 barrel is not a convertible. The star is plain as day.
The blue S6 star model is actually quite scarce. Ruger used over 15,000 of their blue 6-1/2" tubes for the Colorado Centennial production in 1975.
Chet15

I found this older thread via a search. I have started looking for a OM SS convertible with the XR3 grip frame-pre-63 I believe.

Some SS's I see for sale state they are convertibles and others say that they are SS's with an extra cylinder-.22WMR usually. I have read just enough to be leery of obtaining a .22LR revolver with a .22LR Bore and a .22WMR cylinder that someone picked up along the way.

Is there any way to confirm-prior to purchasing-that a SS is in fact a convertible model? Is there some serial number lookup table that goes beyond dating the revolver? Or, should I ask for photos of the cylinder faces and see if there is a match to the SS's serial number?

Or, if I wanted the most accurate configuration, should I purchase a .22LR SS and then look for a .22WMR cylinder to fit. It seems that you all are fine with shooting .22WMR through a .tighter 22LR bore. I believe Ruger opened the bore diameter some for the convertible model.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I've been watching this one on GB. It ends soon. I was interested because it was listed as a 1960, but I've decided to search for a WMR only 1960.
The one you are looking at on Gunbroker is a Ruger (RSSMXW) Single-Six WIN, .22RF MAG. CAL. which is roll marked on the frame. It was shipped with the EXTRA .22LR Cylinder which should be etched with the last 3 of the S/N on the face of the cylinder.
Not quite sure what you are looking for when you state WMR unless you mean a MAG marked without being shipped with the extra 22 LR Cylinder. My Question would be WHY???
The S/N range for Mag. Marked SS for 1960 is 305543---318695

The RSSMXW S/N 317276 on the bottom left is a 1960 with the extra 22LR Cyl. and XR3 grip frame The RMSSR bottom right is 1959 WO extra Cyl and XR3 frame with rubber grips. There are 5 variations of the Mag Marked RSSM in the picture.
173-1.jpg

Single-Six Convertible RSS5X XR3 Grip frame
171-1.jpg

Single-Six RSS4 and RSS5 with XR3 grip frames
168-1.jpg

The two at the top were not shipped with extra mag cyl. and are 22LR only BUT they have a 22 Mag. bore.
164-1.jpg

Last edited:
Such a nice collection.

What I've got my eye out for is one from 1960 where the frame is roll marked WIN. .22RF MAG. CAL.

it would be nice to have one with the extra .22LR cylinder if it originally came with it. But that's not a deal breaker for me- I would just like one of each of the roll markings for 1960- that's my birth year.

Do you mind me asking- what all variations were available in 1960?

Last edited:
Such a nice collection.

What I've got my eye out for is one from 1960 where the frame is roll marked WIN. .22RF MAG. CAL.

it would be nice to have one with the extra .22LR cylinder if it originally came with it. But that's not a deal breaker for me- I would just like one of each of the roll markings for 1960- that's my birth year.

Do you mind me asking- what all variations were available in 1960?
I do believe the only type made in 1960 S/N range 305543 to 318695 Mag marked and no Eagle Logo on the Barrel. The Eagle Logo came later starting at S/N 324735 The one you would be looking for is like the lower left one in the picture. About 5000 made and would have the extra Cyl..

I do believe the only type made in 1960 S/N range 305543 to 318695 Mag marked and no Eagle Logo on the Barrel. The Eagle Logo came later starting at S/N 324735 The one you would be looking for is like the lower left one in the picture. About 5000 made and would have the extra Cyl..
Thank you so much. The search is on.

'rWt' there is no sure way to know before you buy one unless the box is with it and is marked as an "X" ( convertible) or the seller has the factory letter stating just 'how it was shipped.....the proof is in the letter or the shipping sleeve ( cardboard wrapper) and as Hondo noted if the serial is over #150,000the bore diameter will be larger and you can make it a "convertible" if needed or wanted it to be...here is a 1960 'Magnum; marked gun and it was shipped as ONLY a 'magnum' but with Walnut grips.............

Attachments

• 22mag 6.5 RSSMW 1960 near.JPG
    22mag 6.5 RSSMW 1960 near.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 22 magnum RSSMW 6.5 in 1960.JPG
    22 magnum RSSMW 6.5 in 1960.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 36

Sirdutch

Bearcat
Okay, is the Single Six is marked with a star, then am I correct to think that it was produced with only one .22lr cylinder?

I recently purchased a .22 mag cylinder for mine. I haven't tried it out yet. Would a star marked Single have a large enough bore diameter to safety accommodate the .22mag?

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes,, the NM single cylinder guns do have a "star" on the frame ahead of the trigger guard. There are some variations of that gun.
And yes,, if you do add a .22 mag cylinder,, you can shoot it. Ruger didn't make a smaller bore size just for that model.

Sirdutch

Bearcat
Thanks! I've asked for info before but I wanted to be absolutely sure as I'm going to try it out soon. I did call Ruger on it. The gentleman had to forward it to someone else at Ruger who emailed me back a few hours later.

I was interested in the bore size most of all to determine if it was safe. It makes sense that they would use the larger bore size.
I was give a release date and confirmation that it was sold without an accompaning .22mag cylinder instead.

Thanks again!

hittman

Staff member
I suspect Ruger's official word on "safe to shoot" would be 1.) refer to your owners manual 2.) follow the caliber marking on the gun. You know, lawyers and all that.

Well, I just purchased a 1960 .22Mag

It's like me- well used and a bit rough around the edges. Unconverted, no box or paperwork, worn bluing, and probably overpriced. But, it spoke to me. Should be here next week.

It will be a shooter, that's for sure. I may have to get the Henry lever gun in .22 Mag to go with it.

IMG_7572.jpeg

Well, I went to the local gun shop to pick up my .22 Mag. Did't get lucky- instant approvals are rare anymore in Oregon. So, I don't get to bring it home until Friday. But…there was a 186 Mini-14 in the display case. Had them throw it on the background check paperwork. So it's going to be a 2-gun Friday!