Ruger Security 380

Help Support Ruger Forum:

M224speed

Bearcat
I just saw this on Rugers website. The new Ruger Security 380.
thumbnail.jpeg

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
Cute, but why does it look like it has porting cutouts in the slide? Are they (or someone) expected to offer a ported barrel? Seems like that's pretty elaborate for a .380, so are they just style or lightening?

I could do without the manual safety. I'll stick with my Bersa Thunder .380CC and its decocker (the best Bersa, IMHO).

Too bad .380 ammo is so expensive and it's so hard to find Gold Dots. If this runs as well as my gun with WWB 95 grain FPs, I guess that would do in a pinch for whatever needed to be done. I certainly wouldn't want to get shot with one or more of them...

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Rapidly approaching 70, and with osteoarthritis becoming an ever-growing fact of life, I can appreciate these types of guns; they definitely fill a niche. Big enough to comfortably hold on to, still small enough to conceal, easy to rack, easy recoil, plenty of rounds onboard -- other than looking a bit odd, I don't see a whole lot to object to for people looking to find something effective that they can still manipulate with ease.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Sounds like a good idea in .380 if others in 9MM might be a bit snappy. Like the idea of the fiber optic sight up front. Bit longer barrel than the CS-9 which has a 3 incher.

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
I have always been a huge Ruger fan, ever since I got my first .45 Blackhawk back in 1972. When I needed to get a .380 for CCW, because the People's Democratic Republic of New Jersey wouldn't accept my SR22, I didn't really like the choices available (at the time) from Ruger. IF the Security-380 had been released earlier, it would have been at the top of my list!

I like the barrel length and size and weight for bullet performance and controllability. The reduced forward slide and cocking ears should make racking the slide easy from either position. The fiber optic front sight and accessory rail round out a pretty complete package.

At 72 years of age, I am no "sheepdog". My thoughts had always been, IF the possibility of CCW became a reality in New Jersey, my SR22 would be my weapon of choice for the purely last line of defense role that it would be used. With New Jersey's .380 minimum caliber requirement, I have been forced to add that caliber to my collection of firearms in my two favorite calibers of .22 Rimfire and .45 Colt.

I look forward to the chance to check one out personally, and will probably add it to my Browning 1911-380 for use in the CCW role.

Last edited:

mac66

Single-Sixer
I bought my wife a S&W EZ 380. It is not really a pocket pistol but we found that she couldn't/didn't like shooting pocket 380s and 9mms. The EZ is nice size and weight with comfortable recoil. It is the only centerfire pistol my wife likes to shoot. It is easy to rack with a decent trigger.

I think the Security 380 is geared toward the same market...easier to use and shoot. The EZ is a 7 rounder, the new Ruger a 15 rounder, not that most people will ever need 15 rounds for SD but its there if you need it. I'm going to have to look into it. I don't see changing just for the sake of changing but you never know.

dweis

Blackhawk
The Security 380 has the same specs S the Security 9 Compact, with some changes to reduce the recoil and racking tension. Physical dimensions are near identical to the 9mm compact. Makes sense because the 9mm is a great pistol at a great price. Retooling a 9mm to 380 is just a matter of adjusting the chamber and the magazines. I the slots in the slide are meant to reduce weight only.

I carry a Security 9 Compact. I love the gun, and it has been trouble free over the w years I have had it. I have worsening arthritis in my 80 year old hands. The 9mm is becoming a racking challenge. With the 380 being a lite-rack I am probably headed that way soon.

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
I would have preferred if they made it with the MAX 9 frame instead, but with a 15 round magazine option, which the Max 9 doesn't have as yet. I think that the Security 9 frame is unnecessarily wide for the 380.

Thanks for posting it. I like the looks. Looking forward to a review. Gotta see how it compares in size to my CS-9 for carry.

Here's a short review, from the Ammoland web site:

Sounds pretty positive! Subcompact handguns with double-stack magazines seem to fit my hands better than those with single-stack mags, so I'll have to watch for one of these at a local gunshop, to see how it handles.
:)

larry8

Single-Sixer
I just got one at a gun show and am really impressed. Everything works as intended and is small enough to carry in a light coat pocket. I took it all apart and cleaned & oiled it. 6-7 months ago I bought a ruger 57 and was so impressed with it that I had no reservations about buying this 380. Only one thing that I found a little pain in the but was loading the mag with the enclosed speed loader. But I guess I'll get used to it.
On 3-24, I ordered a Security 9 from Davidsons and it came in on 3-25. Both guns are really nice as a test to Rugers quality. Took them apart and cleaned and oiled them but haven't taken them to the range yet.
The Security 380 is a bit heavier than I expected, but is a dream to rack compared to the 9.

Last edited: