Ruger rings used as QD mounts?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

seawolf

Bearcat
Any of you guys that have tested the accuracy of standard Ruger rings used as Quick Detachable mounts?

One of my rifles (a 35 Whelen) is duing dual porpose as a daytime moose stalker, and also as a low light high seat gun for deer and pigs (night hunting over moonlit fields are legal where I live).

So far I have been toting a big Zeiss Victory scope on the rifle, (a bit on the heavy side for moose), so I have been playing with the thought og having two scopes zeroed in rings for the rifle.

My question is; will the removing and reinstalling of a scope already zeroed in original Ruger rings constantly give me the same hitting point ?
(Max shooting distance will be within 160 yards)

pcgod

Bearcat
The short answer is yes.

You need to put in a little time and test this for yourself however. Practice tightening the screws to the same feel and try it. I can swap 2 scopes between one of my rifles and for deer hunting they would be fine. If you practice taking the scope off and on carefully they should end up within MOA.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I've checked the Ruger rings on several of my RS tang safety models over the years. They have returned to zero for me. I have a couple with Warne QD rings that have always been back to zero. The one set is on my 416T and it has reliably come back to zero every time. I would say, you must check your rings on your gun. Brownells used to market some little levers that could be used to replace the screws on your Ruger rings. I would love to have some of them. I know of at least a few fellows who have brazed levers into the screw slots on there Ruger rings to make them QD. Just double check on your own gun and rings. You know how Murphy sticks his nose into your business when you go hunting. :shock:
Bfly

seawolf

Bearcat
Thank you guys for the feedback.
Guess I have to try it out on the shooting range.
Thing is to get it tensioned to the same level after replacing I guess, but that should not be to complicated.
Ruger rings are rock solid, and after 20 + years of using Ruger rifles I have not had a single one slip or fail ...so far :wink: