Ruger response on Alaskan 454 availability....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

alank2

Bearcat
Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else is waiting for new 454 alaskan's to fill the market again:

From Ruger 5/6/2011:

The .454 Alaskan Super Redhawk is not in production at this time.
It has not been discontinued.

I guess they other things to build right now! At least they say it isn't discontinued...

Thanks,

Alan

stantheman86

Buckeye
Ruger has a habit of making things in "runs".

I wonder if they do the same with the 4" .44 and .45 Redhawks.....I have been to like 7 gun shows and have yet to see one used or new.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
How much demand is there for these? Say a man had one for sale NIB, what would it go for? No interest in one started at $750 on Gunbroker.

chris_

Blackhawk
Rocdoc said:
How much demand is there for these? Say a man had one for sale NIB, what would it go for? No interest in one started at $750 on Gunbroker.
I have one in that condition listed for $900 and have had a lot of hits but no bites.

tek4260

Buckeye
Rocdoc said:

$750 isn't a bad price if you want one. Wholesalers have them in stock for less than $700, but after your dealer adds mark up and taxes, you may pay a bit more than $750

mrbumps

Blackhawk
We have a couple of local shops that have them in .44 Mag. One is asking $750, so I assume the 454's "could" sell for the same and they would still make a profit. There is a used one on GB now at $800.

alank2

Bearcat
Hi,

Darn thing is so pricy already it sure doesn't need to be pushed up by market factors! I'll be waiting for them to be plentiful with no price premium.

Thanks,

Alan

I think it will be quite a wait. They are still producing them (I don't know about right this minute) but they can't begin to keep up and are way back ordered. Revolvers (especially double action) take a lot of hand finishing and a lot of folks have retired from Ruger the last few years. It's taking time to bring others up to speed. But I agree it's always nice when they are readily available. I think "market factors" will be a definate factor for quite some time. Interesting to me how readily available the 44's seems to be. Not sure why that is.

Marine24

Bearcat
Had a similar response from Ruger when I asked about availability of the Alaskan in 454 Casull. Short version of what they said was that "they do not produce all the handguns year round". No indication if they were doing so now or when they planned on doing one. Expect the LC9 and SR1911 are keeping them occupied.

Saw one recently on GunsAmerica but it sold shortly after posting for $759; it was NIB. Used ones on Gunbroker are going for $900+ lately. Found one at a local shop that only had 50 rounds through it that is listed for $850 but when you add 7.6% tax, you are up over $900.

Hard to drop that kind of money when I paid $675 for a new one a few months back.