Ruger Red Label 12 Ga.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike61

Bearcat
Just purchased the Red Label 12 Ga. Took it out of the box and assembled it. The manual indicates that the when you open the action to load it, you will hear a click as the ejectors snap out, like most O/Us. When I open my action, I encounter some resistance and have to apply some pressure to get the ejectors to pop out - and I don't hear a click - I hear a loud nasty CRACK!!! At first I thought the forearm broke, but it is the ejectors coming out.

I've never owned a Red Label, but everything I read about them says that they fall open pretty easy to the point where they feel loose. I'm wondering if I need to ship my gun back to the factory or if this is normal or something that loosens up with a little use.

Any insight will be much appreciated.

Tuco Tom

Single-Sixer
Clean it, apply some quality lube and go shoot a couple rounds of Skeet to get familar with your new wonderful shotgun....

mattsbox99

Hunter
Mine has 40k+ shells through it and it kinda pops when it opens too, it's never given any indication that it is 'loose'. Red Labels are Tanks, I wouldn't worry about them at all.

Mike61

Bearcat
Thanks guys. Broke it down several times today to clean, re-oil, work it a bit and then do it again. Didn't put any rounds through it though. No noticeable difference.

Definitely need 2 hands to open this one all the way. Sounds just like you are breaking a pool cue over your knee. Had my son open the action today (he's 17) and I didn't tell him what to expect. When he heard the ejectors pop out he thought he broke something too.

But from what you and others have told me it sounds like this might just be the way the gun works. I tried calling Ruger's service department just to see if they have any concern - was going to open the action while on speaker phone (don't know how well that was going to work out) but they are in the middle of a plant shut down until July 11th.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. If anyone else encountered this same issue and it led to trouble, I would sure like to hear about it.

Thanks again.

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
My three RL's will fall open on their own....you certainly don't have to use force to open them.

I think your gun needs to go back to Ruger.

APEXDUCK

Single-Sixer
I have 2 Rad Labels, one in 12 ga the other in 20 ga. The 12 is a bit louder when opening and the ejectors are engaged (trigger has been pulled). I have seen others that seem louder, others that are more quite. I would not worry. Go to the range and shoot a couple of round of skeet with it and I do not think you will have an issue. Not having empty hulls in there to eject may be making the "noise" louder than one would expect. If you have a couple of empty hulls around try it with them in place and it may not be as loud as you think.

APEXDUCK

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Shoot it a few rounds before you do anything. Most quality shotguns will be tight for a while. I have a Caesar Guerini target shotgun that has a few thousand rounds through it and it is still tight. It takes time.

If, after you've shot it a good bit, it is still tight, then send it back.

Just my $0.02

BB45C

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
bigbore45colt said:
Shoot it a few rounds before you do anything. Most quality shotguns will be tight for a while. I have a Caesar Guerini target shotgun that has a few thousand rounds through it and it is still tight. It takes time.

If, after you've shot it a good bit, it is still tight, then send it back.

Just my $0.02

BB45C

RL's are not tight from the factory. They will fall open on their own (a trait that gets them condemned as "loose fitting junk" by owners of other brands). A report that it takes two hands to open this RL, combined with the noise, is an indication to me that something is seriously wrong.

I also have a RL (20 ga.). It just sounds to me like something is wrong. I don't think you should have to open it as if you are "breaking a cue stick". Held parallel to the ground it should open on its own or with slight pressure if not broken in.

Just my opinion, but I think something is not right.

Mike61

Bearcat
Thanks for the feedback.

I don't need to put the gun over my knee to open it like I am breaking a pool cue - I said it sounds like a pool cue is breaking when I open it all the way so that the ejectors pop - its the sound that has me most concerned because it just doesn't sound right. Plus the ejectors only pop when I get all of the way to the end of the action's travel. It almost feels like I'm forcing the action open too far and then I hear that crack when the ejectors pop. If you heard it, you would swear the forearm was breaking.

However, I've worked the gun over the holiday weekend and it seems to have loosened up a bit. Definitely won't move on its own when I open the lever, BUT, I can now open the gun by opening the lever and sort of giving it a little whip with one hand. Definitely couldn't do that a couple of days ago.

I'm still going to call Ruger to see if they have any concerns and feel that I should send it back. They are still shut down this week.

Thanks again for everyone's comments.

APEXDUCK

Single-Sixer
Checked mine today to see what it did after the trigger had been pulled twice. It starts to open a bit when the lever is moved to the side but stops as the ejectors engage. With some effort (not much but not just a little) it opens and there is a loud click as the ejectors eject. I'd say you do not have a problem but if you are concerned call Ruger and send it back for a going over by the repair folks.

APEXDUCK

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Mike,

Sounds like an ejector adjustment. When I open mine with unfired shells, the shells are slightly pushed out. Fired shells get launched over my head.

You don't mention any shells, but it sounds like your shotgun is adjusted to eject all shells. Try a couple of snap caps. If you don't pull the trigger, you shouldn't get the crack noise and the shells should stay in the tubes. If you do pull the trigger, you will get a definate crack as the ejectors launch the emptys.

Ted

mattsbox99

Hunter
I order of newness, my 28 gauge is pretty loud with a definite snap, its too light to fall open. The 20 is next and its one of the first ones but hasn't been shot much so its got a decent crack to it, not like the 28 though. Then my workhorse 12, I shot 8 rounds of trap tonight and it chugged right on through without a hiccup. It falls open and has a light pop.

All three guns eject fired shells about the same distance.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
Mine has had gobs of shells through it and still has that crack that you describe. Just shoot it. Believe me if something breaks or is broken Ruger WILL make it right. You have a great shotgun. Consider that your gun is working properly at this time and if anything changes then call Ruger. I shot mine for five years at sporting clays until I did encounter a problem. They fixed it and it keeps going. I think its all good right now. Go SHOOT it. :)