Ruger PC9 - Just picked one up - How'd I do? UPDATED

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Harrishmasher

Bearcat
UPDATE: I just put 100 rounds through it. Flawless. I love this little carbine. Very accurate. Almost no recoil, follow up shots are fast and dead on. And it is so quiet! I was shooting at an indoor range. I let my buddies who work there shoot a few rounds. I lifted my hearing protection up when they were shooting. Astoundingly quiet, indoors! It sounded like my 22LR rifles with standard velocity ammo. Much quieter than any 9mm pistol I have ever fired. This is the perfect home defense weapon!

Over the last few months I have decided to switch over to a pistol caliber carbine for home defense.

After spending a fair amount of time over the last few months firing my AR15s at a local indoor range (with hearing protection of course), I have come to realize that I NEVER want to fire an AR15 indoors without hearing protection. In a home defense situation, sans hearing protection is most likely the way it would go down. It is a very loud round that would seriously damage your hearing if fired indoors. I could also see the concussion and muzzle blast from my 16" LWRC or 8.5" LWRC UCIW (SBR) would be very disorienting as well. Not a good state to be in when you are trying to protect yourself and your family.

So a pistol caliber carbine it is. However, to be honest with you, I found the selection of pistol caliber carbines available to be seriously lacking. Obviously they don't sell very well, or everyone would be making them. Just like every gun manufacturer now makes AR15s.

I decided on 9mm because it is an effective pistol caliber with the proper ammo, and target ammo is affordable. 45 ACP is nearly twice the price. 9mm, in the 147 grain loadings is also subsonic, which makes it fairly quiet out of a 16" barrel.

So I chose a Ruger PC9. Why? I don't like the looks of the Beretta Storm. It looks like a pistol that some slapped some rifle parts on. An Uzi with a 16" barrel is kind of silly. An AR15 in 9mm, based on all the research I did, can be finicky. That pretty much leaves the Ruger PC9 and Marlin Camp Carbine. Between the two, the Ruger was the obvious choice for me. All my research suggests they run fantastic, they are overbuilt, and lots of reasonably priced magazine choices.

I had been looking on Gunbroker for the last month, and I couldn't really find many PC9s. I think I saw 2 or 3 that seemed a bit used. Finally on Google, I found an ad for a PC9 out of state on some local message board. Purchased in 2001, never fired, and it's been in the box ever since. It came with a case, a box of ammo and two 10 round mags. I paid $560 delivered. How did I do?

I will have an opportunity to shoot it on Thursday. I will probably put a GG&G micro red dot mount on it with a Burris FastFire.

Ruger_PC9.jpg

welder

Buckeye
I think you did very well. I would have bought it in a minute. Congrats! :D Very fair price on a gun you will never ever wear out and as reliable as a hammer to boot.

You did okay for what you wanted.... I think you have over justified the reason... for the simple fact that if you ever have to fire a weapon inside the last thing you are going to be worrying about is your hearing.

My only suggestions are:

don't get freaked out over the trigger on the PC9... it is meant to be that way and just takes a little getting used to.

And pay attention to the reassembly instructions... the bolt has to be pulled partially back when you put it back in the stock or it will be locked closed.

My PC9 has an AimPoint mounted and is good to 100 yards+. Mainly used with 147 GoldDot ammo simply because I got a good deal on the ammo and then found I didn't like it's performance through a pistol.
I feel it's greatest asset is as a companion piece for the numerous P series pistols here. Much easier to shoot(and hit the intended target) than a handgun for some of my family. I got it while preparing for an expected "assignment" that failed to materialize at the last moment.