Ruger PC4

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deputygene

Bearcat
22dahk.jpg
[/img]

Got my PC4 back from Ruger. I had bulged the barrel with a squib reload. It was barely visible, but you could feel the bulge. Emailed Ruger about a barrel replacement, they sent a shipping label. Ruger called me back, said they would need to replace barrel and receiver. Kinda expensive, but i whipped out the old credit card. Got it back, put my Tasco Red Dot on it and got it sighted in. Chronographed some Winchester 165gr flat points. 1335-1350fps.
Ruger evem installed sling swivels while they had the gun. Great service from Ruger!

[img]http://i63.tinypic.com/vzbssz.jpg[/img]

I have one stock 10 round magazine, and two twenty round pro-mag magazines.

mpalm

Single-Sixer
Glad Ruger still had the parts to make a repair. I know the supplies are drying up. I love my PC4 , it share its mags and ammo with my P944DAO. The velocities of the 155/165 ammo scream
The 9mm velocities are approximately 1500 fps out of the 16 inch barrel.
I like to plink with the 180 grain FMJ. recoil is milder

chet15

Hawkeye
deputygene said:
22dahk.jpg
[/img]

Got my PC4 back from Ruger. I had bulged the barrel with a squib reload. It was barely visible, but you could feel the bulge. Emailed Ruger about a barrel replacement, they sent a shipping label. Ruger called me back, said they would need to replace barrel and receiver. Kinda expensive, but i whipped out the old credit card. Got it back, put my Tasco Red Dot on it and got it sighted in. Chronographed some Winchester 165gr flat points. 1335-1350fps.
Ruger evem installed sling swivels while they had the gun. Great service from Ruger!

[img]http://i63.tinypic.com/vzbssz.jpg[/img]

I have one stock 10 round magazine, and two twenty round pro-mag magazines.

Deputy Gene:
Since they replaced the receiver, I would be curious as to what the serial number on that new receiver is. One of the execs from the Prescott plant was able to get the highest serial numbers the plant made of both the 9mm and the .40 when they were discontinued. They are 470-20664 (9mm) and 480-16225 (.40 cal). Does your gun have a higher serial number than 480-16225? If so, please send me PM if you are worried about confidentiality.
Chet15

demented

Single-Sixer
As usual, I waited until they were discontinued to have any interest in the Rugers. Love to have a 9mm, just can't see paying the going prices for a well used version. They run 600 plus when one does pop up every two or three years.

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
Back in the late eighties, I had the chance to buy one of those at Walmart. Stupid me passed...sure wish I would have now, it's a cool little rifle. ;)

Sugar River

Buckeye
usmc6433-6437 said:
Back in the late eighties, I had the chance to buy one of those at Walmart. Stupid me passed...sure wish I would have now, it's a cool little rifle. ;)

They were made from 1996-2006.

mpalm

Single-Sixer
They only built approx, 20 thousand in 9mm and approx. 15 thousand in 40. over a 10 year period, that makes them very hard to find indeed!

deputygene

Bearcat
Ruger Guroo, interesting idea, thought for a few seconds I may have the very last one made. They did say this was the last one they had, but the serial number is 480- 1586_ I left the last number blank. :)

usmc6433-6437, I was in the Corps 81-86, mostly LeJeune.

chet15

Hawkeye
deputygene said:
Ruger Guroo, interesting idea, thought for a few seconds I may have the very last one made. They did say this was the last one they had, but the serial number is 480- 1586_ I left the last number blank. :)

OK...I was curious about that. Sounds like they set a few receivers aside so they could deal with repairs.
Chet15

deputygene

Bearcat
Should have posted this sooner, but Midway put the 10 round mags on clearance for $9.99. I ordered three, went back a couple days later to order a couple more but they were out. Glad I got mine, they are Ruger mags and work perfectly. Midway has the 20 round Pro mags, they were cheaper on Sportsmans guide where I got mine, but SG is apparently out now, so I ordered one more from Midway. BTW, I shot this off the bench with Winchester 165 FP ammo, decent group at 50 yards and about a 5" group at 100 yards. This with a 5moa red dot that all but covered the target at 100 yards. The 165's chrono at 1335fps, 200 fps above what they do out of a pistol barrel.

deputygene

Bearcat
Shooting the PC4 today, sighting in the Tasco Pro Point Red dot. This is an ancient red dot, a made in Japan Tasco with a huge dot that almost covers an 8" bullseye at 50 yards.
2hn49ao.jpg
[/img]
2hn49ao.jpg

This is a 20 round group at 50 yards.

44rugerr

Single-Sixer
These guns where being sold through a dealer in georgia several years ago for $300 with mag & straps as police trade ins. I bought a couple in good condition. tried to order more within a week an were all sold out. I learned to buy rugers when they are common!

Elmstreet

Bearcat
Got one and love it. Started to sell it or trade it for a Smith model 29 a couple of years ago and changed my mind when the interested buyer picked the PC up to look at.

deputygene

Bearcat
I usually shoot real light reloads in my PC4, but got looking around and found that I had a case of 180gr hard cast lead truncated cone flat point bullets sitting around. I also had two unopened cans of Unique powder, got looking around the net and found that 5.2 gr was listed in some places as a max load, others 5.8. So I loaded a few at 5gr, a few more at 5.2, and a few more at 5.3-5.4 and went out plinking. Unique is hard to get to throw a real consistent charge, but the highest charge was putting them heavy lead pills out at around 1150fps, breaking the sound barrier. Tried them in my Glock with lone wolf barrel and recoil was past stout. 5.1 - 5.2 was better, 1050 fps over the chrono, good accuracy. Recoil still stout in the Glock. I can't wait to try these off the bench.

mpalm

Single-Sixer
I have the PC4, got it used about 8 years ago for $499 + tax........I know i got a sweet deal, gun shop didn't know what they had! I have some 11 round p91 magaazines for it and at the range I have blast with it and its little brother my P944DAO. They share the ammo and I share the fun!
with 155 /165 grain ammo, you can get about 1200/1300 fps out of the 16 inch barell

welder

Buckeye
I'm happy to see they can and did fix it. I had a PC4 but sold it unfired some years ago. I have a police trade-in PC9 that I paid 650 for. It has some external battle scars, even been branded, but the internals look almost unfired. Picked it up on GB a few years ago when a dealer was offering several of them. I wish I had picked up another one.

Latest posts