Ruger P95 Questions.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stchman

Bearcat
Hello all, I ordered the P95. Bud's had it for $321 shipped so I could not pass up the price.

My questions are as follows:

Can the safety/decocker be made into just a decocker? They were out of stok on the P95D and have been for a while.

Are the 17 round MecGar mags any good in this pistol? I am a big believer in Ruger factory mags, but MecGar makes good stuff.

Thanks.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
hmmm.... I never thought about that before... but i bet there is some way to install a spring or something to hold the safety up, thus turning into a decocker model.... I'm going to have to look and see how it all works next time I have mine apart.....

tightgrouper

Bearcat
Congrats on a great pirstol!
If all else fails. It's just a quick flick of the thumb to disengage the safety. Index finger will do it also on the opposite side.

Specs

Single-Sixer
The safety lever is a decocker. Not sure why so many like the decocker only models. I don't see any downside. If you don't want the safety on, just flip the lever up and it's ready to carry or fire in DA.

I like the decocker only model... but you pretty much have to go with a used gun to get one of those. simple solution to the safety model is just don't ever put it on safety... that's what I do with my Walther PPK.

As mentioned. I've never heard anything bad about the mecgar 17 round mags....

One down side to these 17, and 15 round mags is they do make the pistol heavier.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
Specs":32ocpeqk said:
The safety lever is a decocker. Not sure why so many like the decocker only models. I don't see any downside. If you don't want the safety on, just flip the lever up and it's ready to carry or fire in DA.

the downside if this is a self defense gun is thats just one more thing you have to worry about.... there is always that chance that the safety got applied somehow, and the extra second or two it takes to pull the trigger, realize safety is on, and take it off could be seconds you dont have....

Specs

Single-Sixer
dacaur":uov0tsrt said:
Specs":uov0tsrt said:

the downside if this is a self defense gun is thats just one more thing you have to worry about.... there is always that chance that the safety got applied somehow, and the extra second or two it takes to pull the trigger, realize safety is on, and take it off could be seconds you dont have....

True, but it is only a quick swipe with your thumb to make sure that that the safety is off. I know, I don't have to worry about it with my KT PF9. I don't really carry my P series pistols much, they are mostly nightstand protection, and in most home scenarios I should have time as I pick up the pistol to check safety. Anyway, that is how I use the pistol. My pocket carry is another matter, a faster, easier draw might make a difference.

OnTarget

Bearcat
In terms of the safety, if you are going to carry this gun concealed, then practice, practice, practice on flipping the safety when drawing. No matter what gun you have, if you practice enough it will work just fine when you need it most.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
If you are carrying it---get a GOOD holster that covers the trigger and hammer and leave the safety OFF.

A good place to start is the Galco holster offered by Ruger.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
rugerfreak":1ilfibtk said:
If you are carrying it---get a GOOD holster that covers the trigger and hammer and leave the safety OFF.

Great point about carrying it with the saftey off. The saftey on the p95 isn't going to get "bumped" into the safe position. It takes a very deliberate motion to apply the saftey. I really don't understand why so many guys like the decock only models better than the safety/decock models. I understand the reasoning, but......

What's so great about the design of the P-series, or any auto where the saftey disengages the trigger bar from the sear is that it is obvious whether the saftey is on or not just by pushing on the trigger. ( Off on tangent)

Specs

Single-Sixer
pistolpete":32rbgfcz said:
rugerfreak":32rbgfcz said:

Great point about carrying it with the saftey off. The saftey on the p95 isn't going to get "bumped" into the safe position. It takes a very deliberate motion to apply the saftey. I really don't understand why so many guys like the decock only models better than the safety/decock models. I understand the reasoning, but......

What's so great about the design of the P-series, or any auto where the saftey disengages the trigger bar from the sear is that it is obvious whether the saftey is on or not just by pushing on the trigger. ( Off on tangent)

Exactly! There are those times when a safety can come in handy, but it represents no barrier of any kind to me. As to those who want to disable it, good luck explaining to a jury why you tampered with a manufacturer installed safety device. Too much downside for little gain IMHO.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
pistolpete":3uc201v6 said:

haha, yeah, that's a great plan.... *BANG* "ah.... yep, the safety was off...." :shock: