Ruger P345 Not Firing All The TIme

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Amistad

Single-Sixer
Folks, I have a P345 that has really been a good performer. I love the look and feel of this weapon and I fire mostly reloads in it that I have put together. I've shot several hundred rounds of my reloads with no problems at all. However, Recently I have run into this issue -- I'll pull the trigger... the hammer drops... but rather than firing, it just clicks. I'll cock the hammer with my thumb... pull the trigger again... but again, just a click. An examination of the round then reveals that the primer shows no sign of having been struck by the firing pin. I would appreciate any suggestion as to what may possibly be going wrong. Thanks!

Amistad

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Models with this operating system can develop the problem you describe. It is best left as a factory repair. They know exactly what's up.

-CU

roylt

Hunter
I would call Ruger and describe the issue as you have here. They will do one of two things in my opinion.
1. fix for free or
2. offer up a new 45, different model in exchange. I'd get a 1911. (small up charge but worth it. I turned in a P97 for mine.)

The issue is the mag disconnect / fire pin block. Have you fired this with the mag removed before? That is what typically causes the issue. Or I guess it could be dirty in the fire pin area. You could remove the decock levers and fire pin assy to see if it is clean but the easiest thing to do if you can stand not having your gun a week or two is call Ruger.

Amistad

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies.

I traded another gun (a Browning Buck Mark .22LR) for this P345, and this P345 was in used condition when I obtained it. Will the Ruger folks be willing to help me with this issue since I didn't purchase it new? Thanks for any insight in that regard.

BTW, I am aware of that issue of possibly messing up the P345 when dry-firing when using an empty magazine. (I learned of that issue years ago when the P345 guns first came out.) So no, I have not dry-fired it without a dummy round in it, but someone else might have done so before the gun became mine...

Amistad

roylt

Hunter
First, Ruger will help.

Second, it has nothing to do with a round being in the mag it has to do with the mag being installed. It is a mag disconnect not a round indicator or anything like that.

Call them now before they close.

Amistad

Single-Sixer
Hey there, roylt.

Many thanks for the reply. Sorry that I misstated the problem above. You are "right on" in the issue involving the presence of a magazine or not. That's what I should have said, rather than what I did.

I just now called Ruger Customer Service and spoke with a rep there. Ruger has already sent me a prepaid label to return the pistol to them. Once they check it out, we'll go from there. I must confess that I am blown away with how easy that was! Of course, it may be some kind of repair that I'll have to pay to have fixed. Even so, Ruger is to be commended for this little slice of excellent customer service that they have served up to me!

Many thanks for the help, roylt!

Amistad

roylt

Hunter
I'm a P-nut. I'm sure they will fix it. 95% sure at no charge.

Let us know what they say and do.

GP100man

Buckeye
I`d like to know if all the magazine followers look the same ???

I also bought a P345 used & it misfired 1 time thru a box of reloads (mine) no dent on primer just as you stated .
BUT I acquired a new RUGER mag & saw that the follower was bent on the mag that came with the pistol. I shaped the original as the new & the pistol hasn't misfired in almost 500 reloaded rounds now , almost enuff to put it in the HD/SD line up.

I didn't disassemble it ,but I did do a good mineral sprits & compressed air cleaning, no noticeable gunk coming out during .

GP

Amistad

Single-Sixer
GP100man,

Many thanks for the reply!

I just now examined my three magazines and they all three look exactly the same to me. I'll be sending this P345 out to Ruger today and will report back with how things go on this. Thanks to all who have been willing to help on this issue!

Amistad

Amistad

Single-Sixer
Update:
FedEx tracking now reports that the weapon has left San Antonio, with an estimated delivery to Ruger's Arizona facility no later than 4:30PM Wednesday afternoon.

Amistad

Amistad

Single-Sixer
Update #3

Wow! I was just notified that Fedex has just now picked up the gun from Ruger and it is enroute to San Antonio. Expected delivery is Monday, July 20.

I haven't heard anything directly from Ruger. Perhaps they included a note packed in with the gun telling what (if anything) they did to it. I would have thought they would contact me via phone or e-mail to bring me up to speed, but that didn't happen. In any case, it's amazing to me that the weapon got there yesterday afternoon, and it's already headed back to me! That says a lot about Ruger! :mrgreen: I can hardly wait to see what the verdict is!

Amistad

Amistad

Single-Sixer
Update #4:

Received the gun from Fedex this afternoon. Ruger indicated in the paperwork included that they had replaced the firing pin and firing pin spring. They also "repaired" the recoil spring. They then test fired 35 rounds of 230 gr Buffalo Bore with no issues. I'm pumped! I'll be headed to the range first thing in the morning to give it a run! When I get back home, I'll post my findings, and that will close the story...

Amistad

Amistad

Single-Sixer
Final Update:

Took my P345 to the range this morning and gave it a workout. I fired four different recipes of my .45 ACP handloads, and one batch of commercial. (Blazer Brass, 230 gr FMJ) No drips, no runs, no errors. Very pleased here! And considering that I'm not out even a single penny on this round trip to Arizona and repair, I must cry out in a voice both loud and long: RUGER, you rock!! Thank you!

Amistad

Amistad

Single-Sixer
Well, fiddlesticks! Friends, my euphoria has sprung a leak and I am back to the frustration of before....

Yesterday I made another trip to the range with my P345 in hand. (It had performed just fine on the first trip the day after I got it back from the Ruger people.) But yesterday, on about the 11th or 12th round that I fired, it was back to the old "click, but no fire" routine. I tried firing that round three times (cocking it again with my thumb), but again, just a click each time, and no boom. Checking that round over closely, just like previously, I noted that there was no indention or mark on the primer at all. So.... I'm somewhat crestfallen now. I did manage to shoot about 20 more rounds, then the same thing happened again, and I threw in the towel.

Looking ahead, do you fellows think there's any more help that Ruger would be willing to offer me, or is this pretty much "it" as far as me having a P345 that I can find to be trustworthy and can have full confidence in?

Amistad

DGW1949

Hunter
Amistad said:
Well, fiddlesticks! Friends, my euphoria has sprung a leak and I am back to the frustration of before........

........Looking ahead, do you fellows think there's any more help that Ruger would be willing to offer me, or is this pretty much "it" as far as me having a P345 that I can find to be trustworthy and can have full confidence in?

Amistad

About all you can do is ask them and see what they have to say, or possably look around for a gunsmith who is well versed in that particular platform. Either way though, the bottom line is that it's either gotta be fixed, left as-is and regulated to range-only use, or resold with full disclosure at a deep discount.

Me personaly, I'd be calling Ruger come Monday morning.
As for your "be trustworthy and can have full confidence in?" question...I'm afraid that at this point I'd be done with it, whether the factory "fixed it again" or not.

But that's just me, I got no use for a gun which has already bit me (twice), been back to the factory for repairs, and still don't work. I mean really, how many more rounds (and at what cost) would it take to silence that little nagging voice in your head every time you go to fire the thing?.....

.....Just sayin'.

DGW

Amistad

Single-Sixer
DGW1949 said:
As for your "be trustworthy and can have full confidence in?" question...I'm afraid that at this point I'd be done with it, whether the factory "fixed it again" or not.
DGW
Many thanks for your thoughts and cogitations, DGW. "Once bitten, twice shy" someone once said. I think you're "right on" in your comments. If definitely "fixed", I'd likely use this P345 as a range gun, but surely not where I was depending on it to come through for me in a moment of very high stress. I wouldn't sell nor trade the gun at all in its current condition...

Amistad

roylt

Hunter
Call ruger and tell them what happpened. They'll bring it back again. Tell them you think it is the blocker sticking because the firing pin didn't touch the primer.

You could also push for a 1911 in trade but they will push back with an up charge. The up charge is well worth it in my opinion. I traded up from a P97 that had a broken frame. The 1911 shoots nice....

Let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts