Ruger Old Army 44 Caliber Cap and Ball Wooden Gun Case/Box

Help Support Ruger Forum:

emmierebecca

Bearcat
Hello, I'm a new member and I have a question that I would like to ask. My parents use to be gun dealers back in the 70's and they were also gun collectors. I have a wood case that was made for a Ruger Old Army 44 caliber Cap and Ball Revolver. Inside the box it has a label on the inside top lid that says, "Ruger Collectors' Association Inc. 1979 Soutthport, Connecticut.

Is there anyone that can give me any history on this case? Was there a lot of them made? I have searched and cannot even find a picture of one like this. I'm sure there has to be more of them out there. Thank you to anyone who may be of help.

1_zpsr2dvchsw.jpg

1929881_1027810913924391_2205273891231481033_n_zpszwdtmwip.jpg

SATCOM

Blackhawk
I believe the next best place to go is http://www.rugercollectorsassociation.com

or

Red Eagle News Exchange

Also welcome to the RF

SATCOM

emmierebecca

Bearcat
Thank you SATCOM. I have tried calling a couple phone numbers for the RCA, and either couldn't get through, or they couldn't help me with any info. Didn't realize they had a forum- I will definitely try it out- as well as the Red Eagle News Exchange. Appreciate the help. Have a good evening:)

Greetings, and welcome to the Forum....that is a fine looking case, ,looks like one of the "extras" that were available to members of the Ruger Collectors Association back then when the various special editions were available,,,when we had our shop we had and sold a few of them over the years, some even had the gun, and there were "pairs" also,,,,,,,,I had sold that particular case for anywhere from $50 to $125 depends on how bad someone wants or needs one now ( we call this the pucker factor) 8)
that issue of the Old Army was in the 1976 era and from what I recall was around 200 made, as I said some were pairs some engraved, I may even have the 'certificate' still around here somewhere....for a while the Old Army was a tough sell, but now that they are no longer made, obviously the demand as well as the price has gone up.

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes...the walnut cases were available from the RCA at about the same time as the 1 of 100 and 1 of 200 Old Army's were done by them. Not sure how many were made, but their usual production quantity was 200. So doubt if more than 200 of those cases were made.
Chet15