Ruger No. 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

picketpin

Buckeye
I don't believe that Bill Ruger ever thought of the #1 as the answer to the demands of the general mass market buyer.

His "vision" was to to build the finest single shot gentlemens sporting rifle at the price point. I personally think he did just that. I don't think ANYBODY including Bill Ruger thought of it as anything other than a very fine rifle to fit a very specific buyer within a very narrow niche.

One of the reasons it wasn't chambered in a lot more calibers was that cartridge length and a lot of things that have to do with action length have zero to do with #1s and #3s.

The other reason is the above answer which while a businesman he did not introduce or modify the #1 every year to sell a few more rifles.

I know when I asked over the years about X, Y or Z caliber from people at the factory and even Bill Sr. at the SHOT Show the answer was, any competent smith can make you one. If you didn't like the warning the usually answer was "Any competent gunsmith can buff it off and re-blue the rifle".

The #1 in particulare held a position of " This is what we make, if you like it, buy one. If you don't like it, modify what you don't like because we aren't changing to fit your wants". This was even more previlent when it was a private company.

RWT

nhlever

Bearcat
Bill Ruger couldn't see any sense in putting a short action round in a single shot. He felt that since length of the cartridge was no issue you might as well chamber the longer cartridge in any class, IE 30-06 instead of .308. Many of us though, just like the shorter round better. I expect someone like Lipsey's, or even perhaps the new management at Ruger could be swayed though.

picketpin

Buckeye
I'd bet against it. How many times do you want them to introduce the #1 in 308 to prove there simply isn't a viable mass market for a #1 in 308?

They did re-introduce them in both blue/walnut and stainles/laminate (2003 - 2006) and they didn't sell well enough to stay in the market place as a cataloged item.

Sure Lipkeys can order 200 of something and get it made, Heck so can you. All you have to do is place your order and pony up the money for 200 rifles and they'll chamber whatever you want.

Probably be cheaper and a LOT quicker to either make a semi custom or simply buy a factory rifle when it shows up on some web site.

RWT

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Ross, the one place I disagree with you is in the 1A config. I think the short-action .250Sav, .257Rob, .260Rem, .284Win, 7mm-08Rem, .308Win, .358Win, et al would sell well in the 1A. I know I'd buy a couple.

picketpin

Buckeye
Jim: I agree with you but that is a combination of caliber and configuration added to that is they appeal to the :average" #1 buyer.

Lets face it, most of us are getting on towards the official old fart designation and we like and embrace calibers that are often thought of as antiquated.

The three that would get my money are the 250 Savage that we are STILL waiting for, the 257 Roberts and the .284 Winchester.

The smith and I have been discussing what to do with that stainless 7-08 barrel and right now the toss up is between a "B" or "S" in 284 throted long enough to take 150-154s without protrudig past the bottom of the neck or turning it back far enough so it can become a 7mmBR for low recoil 7mm paper punching.

Sadly I just don't see the 308 AGAIN not with a zillion 39-06s waitingout there for less money. Granted that's just an opinion.

Speaking of which I stopped at the post office today and one of the things waiting was a 2010 Ruger catalog. It's just frightening in regards to #1s and calibers. Not a lot of choices and MANY that don't appeal to "ME".

With the deletion of many calibers and the inclusion of the "Ruger" cartridges it's getting to be pretty slim pickings.

Seriously thinking of that 270 "B" non prefix.

the best

Ross