Ruger No. 1 scope bases Lyman Centennial Grade 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jims

Bearcat
Hi: As you can see I am new to this site. A very good one. Here is my question and I do not mean to offend anyone. I have acquired a Ruger No. 1 in 45-70, Grade 1, Lyman Centennial edition. Before I got it, it got separated from its presentation wood box, accessories etc. and has been previously fired. No unringing the bell.
I would also like to shoot it. I would like to remove the Lyman Centennial scope and mount a modern scope on it. There is no quarter rib and the Lyman is mounted with a "base" just in front of the receiver and at the muzzle.
Questions: What factory base would I need, some thought a 1 V or 1 Varmint as it has a heavier 28 inch barrel "roughly" 1.1 or 1.2 inches at the breech.
Additionally how far forward would the second base need be placed to meet standard Ruger spacing. What screw size and depth or any other suggestions ?
Finally I would like to mount a rubber recoil pad but the butt is curved and the steel recoil plate is curved and Ruger said they only have flat based recoil pads. The other issue is I do not want to cut or alter the stock and the length of pull is already 13.5 inches.
Any ideas, suggestions etc. would be appreciated. thanks jims

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
Jims, Welcome to the rugerforum :!: Sounds like the perfect rifle! Please, DO NOT cut the stock! They don't kick that bad with the heavy 28" barrel. FORGET the modern scope! Use the rear base (just ahead of the receiver) for a peep sight that fits the dovetail. Then get a Ruger front sight base, cut the bell off, and have it mounted on the front of the barrel using epoxy and the existing single screw to hold it on. No need to drill any extra holes in the barrel. I did this years ago with a Lyman Grade II and got 2700+ fps with the 28" barrel and 300 grain hollow points or 350 grain round nose. According to my Chrony i got 2748,2770,2784,2753 and 2727 fps with no pressure signs. And I could hit the end of a pop can at 50 yards!

jims

Bearcat
Yes, I will not cut the stock. I will reload. Using Starline brass and Win primers. Will use .458 Barnes Socom 300 grain brass bullets. Load combos would be appreciated. I guess I could use the existing Lyman scope that is on the firearm, I think it is a 4 power. External adjustments but the scope is loose in there now.
All you shooters of No. 1s, willing to hear sage advice. Thanks

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Good info regarding an iron sight option.

If you really want to D&T for a second base for a modern scope, I BELIEVE (check this) that the normal base separation is 3.5".
I have an unmarked overrun Lyman Centennial that was already D&T for a modern scope when I received it. I use 2 REAR 1V bases and it works fine for me.

As for the stock issue, if it were mine, I'd replace the stocks with a 1H set for a 458 Mag. (which also has the D weight barrel), and save the nice Grade 1 wood from any possible damage. Or just shoot it as is with lighter target loads.

jims

Bearcat
Thanks for the information. I suppose one could have the factory quarter type rib attached and then use Ruger rings. Then the holes would be in exactly the correct spot and it would have the factory Ruger attachments.
Just getting ideas. I definitely will not cut the stock, I will use lighter loads or put on a shoulder attached recoil pad. In the summer that is fine with hunting clothes I do not want it to get too bulky and generally there is only one shot fired anyways, not like trap shooting.
It really is a beautiful gun with the engraving and special wood. Even my wife appreciates how it looks.
With the 28 inch barrel one gains a bit of speed over the shorter versions. Over 11 pounds in its current configuration as best I can see on the scale. Thanks again all and any other ideas are welcome. This is a nice forum.

jims

Bearcat
I have a set of the Ruger 1V (Varmint) bases but think I may need the 1H (Heavy) bases. Will wait and see. Other base/ring options available?

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
jims said:
I have a set of the Ruger 1V (Varmint) bases but think I may need the 1H (Heavy) bases. Will wait and see. Other base/ring options available?

Note that I said you need 2 REAR 1V bases, not a normal set of front and rear.
There are no "1H" bases.
You could probably also use 2 rear Weaver bases intended for the No. 1 or No. 3 but I've never tried that route.

jims

Bearcat
I appreciate the knowledge on this site. All have been helpful.